Thread: **watermarking your pictures**

**watermarking your pictures**

Today is Internet Safety Awareness day and this is a guide to watermarking your pictures.
    I personally would recommend watermarking all pictures you share online, as time consuming as this may be. This includes scan pictures, bump pictures and especially pictures of your children. You should also ensure you blur out any of your details at the header of your scan pictures.

Uploading to a hosting website with built in watermarker:
    1. Go to http://www.flickr.com and create an account.
    2. Click 'upload photos and video' on the right hand side.
    3. Select the picture(s) you want to upload, scroll down and click 'upload photo and video'.
    4. Once the picture has uploaded, click 'add a description' underneath.
    5. On the next page, scroll down and click 'save and edit this photo with Picnik'.
    6. Once the picture has loaded into Picnik, click on 'create' from the tabs at the top.
    7. Underneath the 'create' tab you will see 'text', click this and wait for it to load.

Watermarking your picture:
    1. Once the page has loaded, type in a watermark of your choice which will tie you to the photograph.

For example, I may choose: Sephs@pregnancyforum.org.uk, as shown below:

2. Type your desired watermark into the box on the left and click 'add'.
    3. Resize the text from the box on the right hand side of the page (Text Properties) so it all fits onto your image.
    4. Use the 'fade' scroller to change the opacity of the text so the picture is still visible as well as your watermark (shown above in my image). You could also have your watermark at an angle which would make it harder for the watermark to be removed like Natalie has done below (Thanks Natalie ):

5. Once you are happy, click 'save' in the right hand corner, choose a desired file name to save the picture to your computer and you will be returned to your photostream.
    6. Delete the original photograph on your photostream which does not have the watermark, ensuring you delete the correct photograph and not the one you have worked on! (Small blue delete button underneath the picture).
    7. The picture is then saved to your system, and you can link the picture to the forum (or anywhere else) by following the next set of instructions.

Adding your picture to a forum using flickr.com:
    1. Click the desired photograph in your photostream.
    2. Click 'all sizes' above the photograph.
    3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page until you see 'grab the photo's URL'
    4. Copy the code in the box and paste it onto the forum, adding IMG tags around the link.

E.g. (WITHOUT SPACES IN TAGS)

[IMG ]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4344636656_4076467d34_o.jpg[/IMG ]

That's that! I hope it helps and if you have any questions or are having trouble please don't hesitate to post below and I will try my best to help.
    Last edited by Sephs; 10-09-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    More than likely on my iPad, excuse any typos!

Re: **WATERMARKING YOUR PICTURES**

Thanks hun. I'm going to start doing this with my pictures now, especially after what is happening at the minute.

ETA Can you do this on photobucket as well?

I'm criticised but all your bullets ricochet, you shoot me down but I get up
    ....you shoot me down but I won't fall, I am titanium.
    Believe ♥ and anything is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by natalie6691
    Thanks hun. I'm going to start doing this with my pictures now, especially after what is happening at the minute.

ETA Can you do this on photobucket as well?
    You're welcome, I think it's so important and hope everyone takes to doing it

I'm not sure about photobucket, I find Flickr/Picnik to be the best tool for it personally but I can look into it

I just had a play on Photobucket and you can add text, so is that basically the same thing?

I just had a play on Photobucket and you can add text, so is that basically the same thing?
    Pretty much, I'm just not sure whether you can play with the opacity on Photobucket. Like, I find this to be pointless personally because you can't play with the opacity so can't see the picture. This is just an example I did with Picnik:

IYKWIM? I'll have a look into it once Shameless is over

I've just done this on Photobucket

So cos I have just slapped text on it, could that be edited out?

Thanks for that Honey, I'll be doing that with some of my pics very soon

DANIEL DENNIS born @35w+1d on 19/11/2010, weighing in at 8lbs 8oz

I've just done this on Photobucket

So cos I have just slapped text on it, could that be edited out?
    I'd say that's fine Natalie, you can still see the main focus on the picture which is you and your DH, and unless you had good graphical/PC knowledge it would be incredibly difficult to remove the watermark without making the picture look blurry or distorted.

Sarah you're very welcome

Thanks hun

Only asked about Photobucket because they'll let me upload all my pictures, whereas flickr is restricted to 100MB (or something).

Im struggling

I have done the watermark, but struggling to see where it says all sizes so I can grab the codes to post on forums

Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona
    Im struggling

I have done the watermark, but struggling to see where it says all sizes so I can grab the codes to post on forums

Please help
    You can find it here Fiona, once you have clicked the photo in your photostream:

Let me know if that works for you

Back of beyond, past abercwmlicky with the sheep

If I went through the pics on my photobucket, watermarked them and 'replaced original' do you know if the replaced pics will then show in the older links I posted rather than the older links displaying 'this photo has been deleted'?

LOL do I even make sense? Sleep deprived
    Mom of 5

Quote Originally Posted by Krazi
    If I went through the pics on my photobucket, watermarked them and 'replaced original' do you know if the replaced pics will then show in the older links I posted rather than the older links displaying 'this photo has been deleted'?

LOL do I even make sense? Sleep deprived
    Only just seen this sorry!

I would imagine by replacing your originals you would then break the links but I'm not too sure. I suppose it's worth testing out first if you don't want your old links to be deleted.

Sorry if I don't make sense, I'm doing about 10 different things at once