Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of FOLIC ACID

The importance of FOLIC ACID

I was recently asked about the Folic Acid line i have in my signature, when i explained the reason why i am so passionate about it, i was asked if i minded maybe doing a sticky for TTC ladies on the importance of Folic Acid. I checked with Urchin and she said it was a goer!

The reason it is so important to me is that my 2nd baby i miscarried at 13 weeks in July 09 had passed away at 10 weeks due to a neural tube defect called SPINA BIFIDA. One of the causes of Spina Bifida in babies is due to a lack of folic acid women take preconception and during early pregnancy. This was cited as the main reason for me losing my baby as there is no family history of Spina Bifida or any genetic abnormality in either mine or DHs family. We went through genetic councilling and were given the green light to TTC (albeit with a slightly higher risk of spina bifida occurring again).
    I have copied and pasted what i think is the most important info relating to folic acid and please please take note of the bits in Bold, especially the bit about the first 28 days that is before most of us find out were pregnant (well apart from us early testers!!!)

This is the reason it is so important to take it PREconception.

All that remains to be said is TAKE YOUR FOLIC ACID NOW GIRLS!!!!!

Taken daily before conception and very early in pregnancy when the neural tube is developing, it helps prevent babies being born with a serious neural tube defect. Women who take 400 micrograms (0.4 milligrams) daily can reduce this risk by up to 70%.

A neural tube defect is a birth defect of the brain and spinal cord. The most common neural tube defects are spina bifida (an incomplete closure of the spinal cord and spinal column), anencephaly (severe underdevelopment of the brain), and encephalocele (when brain tissue protrudes out to the skin from an abnormal opening in the skull).
    Neural tube defects occur during the first 28 days of pregnancy, which is usually before a woman even knows she's pregnant. Given that only 50% of pregnancies are planned, some would argue that all woman of childbearing age should take folic acid, and not just those who are trying to get pregnant.

I just wanted to add that i don't want to scare anyone, the risks are 1 in 300 of it happening, but that the folic acid can really reduce the risk. I was unfortunately just unlucky.
    DS1 - 6
    DS2 - 3&1/2
    DD1 - 18 months
    DD2 - 1 month

Take your FOLIC ACID - preferably before conception. Your babies brain develops before 12dpo
    MMC@ 12+3 July 09 - Chem Preg Jan 10

Re: The importance of FOLIC ACID

Thanks for this. I keep forgetting to take mine, I wont now

Thank you so much Jills. My Mum lost a daughter at 20 weeks due to Turners Syndrome but she also had Spina Bifida so another possible cause of death perhaps.

After reading this thread, I'm going out Monday after work and will be picking up some folic acid. Thank you.

Blog Entries

thank you , you just reminded me to take todays tablet

I took folic acid for 3 months before TTC. Because we knew we would TTC. I know not everyone has this experience (unplanned/surprises ) but your advice is excellent and I was well aware of it. I took it for 6 months and then switched to a pregnancy supplement which also had it in.

Well done for raising awareness of this important supplement!

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlesfan
    I took folic acid for 3 months before TTC. Because we knew we would TTC. I know not everyone has this experience (unplanned/surprises ) but your advice is excellent and I was well aware of it. I took it for 6 months and then switched to a pregnancy supplement which also had it in.

Well done for raising awareness of this important supplement!
    thankyou - my 2nd preg was a surprise and my diet wasn't great at the time so i wasn't getting any folic acid into me. Even when i found out i was expecting, i still didn't take it with much regularity as to be honest i wasn't really sure what it did. I will now be on my high dose for as long as i am in with a chance of being pregnant.
    DS1 - 6
    DS2 - 3&1/2
    DD1 - 18 months
    DD2 - 1 month

Take your FOLIC ACID - preferably before conception. Your babies brain develops before 12dpo
    MMC@ 12+3 July 09 - Chem Preg Jan 10

Thank you for posting this I am so sorry you had to go through losing a baby. I take my Folic Acid everyday, I keep it next to think fridge so I am reminded to take it in the morning when I am pouring my juice.

Thankyou for sharing your experience and highlighting the importance of Folic acid. I am not trying to conceive right now but when I was in 2008 I read as much as I could before I stopped taking the pill and started taking Folic acid the following day. I managed to get the recommended 12 weeks before conception dosage by about 2 weeks, I felt so relieved and continued to take until my 12 week scan. You don't need to buy the most expensive brand either, I used Boots and Superdrugs own brand as they had the same 400mg as every other pill and saved money which went toward my clearblue Digi's.

Dannii87 is my text buddy
    my birth story

Thank you for posting this, i will now be buying some folic acid within the next few days. Sorry for your loss
    My Beautiful Family

Alyssa - Born at 40+10 - June 14th 2009 - 6lb 13ozs
    Abigail - Born at 40+4 - April 5th 2011 - 8lb 15ozs
    Jack - Born at 40+4 - October 31st 2012 - 9lb 5ozs
    Toby - Born 39+6 - February 10th 2016 -6lb 9ozs

Thanks for that hun...I have slacked in taking my pregnancy supplements I will remember every day now..

Im sorry for your loss.

thanx for sharing this i have had many sleepless nights over the last week or so as i have been forgetting to take mine but i will remember everyday now i just hope its not too late. im so sorry for your loss xx

Good shout Mrs....

The MW told me the 1st time I got preggo how importaint it was to take it ( 1st was a surprise so only started taking it at 5 weeks when I found out) however I have been taking it for 3 weeks now and we are just starting to ttc no 2.

XXX

Thankyou for sharing your experience with us, im so sorry for your loss hun

Folic acid is such an important thing to take for women trying for a baby and for the first few months of pregnancy, i know too many people who have had this happen to them
    Mummy to: Kyle (9), Ebony (7), Harvey (6), Holly (Newbie), And 2 angel babies (Delayed Miscarraige: 06.01.13 - EDD: 27.07.13 and miscarriage: 30.04.14 - EDD: 25/12/14) - TTC #4 since June '09

Thanks for the info hun, its really helpful

I'm criticised but all your bullets ricochet, you shoot me down but I get up
    ....you shoot me down but I won't fall, I am titanium.
    Believe ♥ and anything is possible!

Thanks for this thread.
    I'm so sorry for your loss
    Claire xx

( I'm on an IPhone! Sorry for any predictive text randoms!!!)