Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teething; Symptoms & Support

Teething; Symptoms & Support

I thought it would be an idea to have a thread that may help parents with teething babies. It can be a place for new mums to post their teething queries, symptoms their LO is showing and general teething questions. As well as somewhere for mums whose LOs have already started teething to post their child's symptoms, how they helped their LO through the teething process, and answer any questions people may have.

(If you think of anything else that may be useful below, please PM me or post as a reply and I will add it in. All info is useful info) (ETA my spelling is awful, so please correct me if I've spelt anything wrong!)

A bit of info from, the NHS website and babycentre.co.uk

Some babies do not experience any pain during teething, while others are more severely affected. The pain is caused by movement within the developing jaw bone, as teeth start to make their way through the gums. Some teeth may come through easily, whilst others cause pain and discomfort. Once the teeth have emerged, the discomfort will normally stop.

Your baby may experience a number of different symptoms while they are teething, some of which are listed below.
    A raised temperature - but not a fever, which is a temperature of 38C (100.4F) or above.
    Reddened cheeks - your baby's cheeks may also be warm to the touch.
    Reddened gums.
    Excessive dribbling- this may cause a red rash to develop on their chin.
    Poor appetite - your baby may be more reluctant to eat as a result of the pain in their gums.
    Chewing - you may find your baby starts chewing more - it may be toys or objects, or their fingers.
    Restlessness and irritability - the pain caused by teething can make your baby restless and irritable.

Other Symptoms

Some people attribute a wide range of symptoms to teething, such as diarrhoea and fever. However, there is no research to prove this, and it is important to be aware that not all symptoms are the result of teething. You know your baby best - if their behaviour seems unusual, or their symptoms are severe or causing you concern, then you should seek medical advice. You can call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47, or alternatively contact your GP.

Soothing the Gums

There are plenty of things you can try before resorting to pain relief products or teething gels. Giving your baby something cool to bite on can relieve the pressure and ease the pain. You could try:

Rubbing a finger or a cold spoon over your baby's sore gums to numb the pain temporarily.
    Giving your baby a teething ring. Solid silicone-based teething rings are recommended over liquid-filled products, which could leak and cannot be sterilised.
    Letting your baby chew on hard non-sweetened rusks, breadsticks or oven-hardened bread. Some parents use frozen bread, such as bagels, for a cool chew.
    Fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, such as cucumber or frozen bananas to use as a chewable soother.
    Or you could try a dummy to help your baby self-soothe while chewing on the teat.

Keep an eye on your baby if you give her hard breads or vegetables to chew on - don't use raw carrots, for example, once she has her first tooth, as she may bite off lumps that she can then choke on. Also never tie anything around your baby's neck for ease of use in case she strangles herself, this includes teething rings, dummies or attachable teething biscuits.

You could also try chilled water in a bottle or, if she prefers, a feeding cup. If she is old enough for solid foods, try offering her cold apple, puree or plain yoghurt. There will be times when your baby will reject all of these offerings and, at these moments, a cuddle is the best therapy you can supply.

Should I use Teething Gels or Homeopathic Remedies?

Teething gels usually contain a local anaesthetic and an antiseptic, which work together to ease the pain and prevent infection. A small amount rubbed onto the sore gum with a clean finger or cotton wool pad has a numbing effect that lasts for about 20 minutes. However, you should not use teething gels more than six times a day.

If you are breastfeeding, avoid using teething gels immediately before a feed as they can numb your baby's tongue making it hard for her to suck successfully. They might also numb your areola (the dark skin around your nipple) making feeding difficult for both of you.

Some mums swear by homeopathic granules (available from chemists). These come in small sachets that you pour into baby's mouth. You can also get powders or tablets to dissolve in warm, cooled boiled water as a drink.

Some teething granules contain lactose or other ingredients ending with "~ose". These are forms of sugar so check the label carefully. Sugar is a prime cause of tooth decay so you don't want to be filling your baby's mouth with it at regular intervals, particularly if this is not her first tooth.

Can I give my baby infant paracetamol?

Babies under three months old should not be given infant paracetamol without first talking to your doctor. Fortunately, most babies have reached this age before they get the first symptoms of teething so if all else fails, and your baby is in real distress, the correct dose can be given.

However, you should first make sure that there isn't something else causing your baby to be upset. Ear infections are often mistaken for teething and will need medical attention. Also, if she has a temperature, or is inconsolable, you should certainly consult your doctor.

How long will teething last?

Just as there is no set date at which your baby's first tooth will arrive, so the time it takes to make its journey through that little gum is different for every child. Some will be troubled for just a few days before a tooth emerges, while other babies will display all the symptoms of teething for months with nothing to show for it at all.

The good news is that, for most babies, the first few teeth are the worst. Problems associated with teething tend to subside, certainly until the molars, the large teeth at the back of the mouth, start to come through and that is unlikely to happen until after your baby's first birthday, giving you and your baby time to recover from this difficult and, for some, stressful stage.

I'm criticised but all your bullets ricochet, you shoot me down but I get up
    ....you shoot me down but I won't fall, I am titanium.
    Believe ♥ and anything is possible!

Re: Teething; Symptoms & Support

I just came in here to ask about teething! Saoirse is 10 weeks and one day old, is she too young to start showing signs of teething?? She's been dribbling so much the past few days, constantly trying to get things in her mouth (which I initially thought was hunger but she'll not necessarily want milk), her cheeks are rosey, she's much more irritable (she'll just suddenly scream out which she's never done before), and she keeps rubbing her face. Does this sound like early teething signs??

Oh, and she keeps pushing her tongue into her bottom lip like ske might be trying to soothe her gums, and sucking in her sleep...?

i swear by amber teething necklaces! Lewis has cut 6 teeth and the worse we have had is him dribbling

Alice had a teething necklace as well and when cutting her back teeth she had slightly rosy cheeks and some rather smelly nappies, but that was it

pre teething necklace i found frozzen pear and melon helped sooth Alice's gums. If they are still little, you can use a CLEAN washing machine tablet bag. put the frozzen fruit in one of them and give to bubs to chew on. No big chunks will fall off and into LO's mouth (but its still a messy business )
    Mum to Alice (6) and Lewis (4)
    x

i agree with the amber teething neckalces too,my little dude has 8 teeth already and another two on the way!
    we have had a few "off" hours with him but i swear the necklace has saved us from many days and night of misery
    Claire xx

( I'm on an IPhone! Sorry for any predictive text randoms!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeLou
    I just came in here to ask about teething! Saoirse is 10 weeks and one day old, is she too young to start showing signs of teething?? She's been dribbling so much the past few days, constantly trying to get things in her mouth (which I initially thought was hunger but she'll not necessarily want milk), her cheeks are rosey, she's much more irritable (she'll just suddenly scream out which she's never done before), and she keeps rubbing her face. Does this sound like early teething signs??
    I could've written that!! Tobes is showing the exact same signs and I ran my finger over his bottom gumline today and swear I can feel a little tooth.
    I've got him an amber teething necklace that he wears all day but I take it off at night as worried he'll strangle himself with it. I did wrap it round his foot but he has found a new fun thing to do, which is kick his legs out lots and i'm scared he'll break it!

Leighton was teething at 8 weeks old...I wasnt sure he was but had his 6 week check (dr was running 2 weeks behind so he was 8 weeks) and the Dr was like ooo look hes teething. Ohs Dad was both with a tooth so yeah its possible.

I swear by the amber necklaces...leighton hasnt been as bad since ive put his on... i think hes teething bad at the moment as hes been really mardy. hes 9 and a half month and no teeth as yet. Poor bugger been teething all that time and still nothing bless him
    ]

*MY BIRTH STORY* *MY SWAPS THREAD*

"You're sweet like chocolate, boy, You're sweet like chocolate
    You bring me so much joy, You're sweet like chocolate, boy

Knowing you're there every day, Makes me high in my own special way, I am calm in the face of your love
    Holding you is the gift from above"

We have a back tooth coming after two front teeth and two bottom teeth. I didn't think back ones come through yet!
    Mommy to Ashlee aged 3 and Dylan aged 20 months old.

Step mum to three girls aged 14, 12 & 7.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity
    We have a back tooth coming after two front teeth and two bottom teeth. I didn't think back ones come through yet!

oh bless her.. shes going to have a mouthful of teeth before shes 1!!

adrianne just got her 1st tooth.. she had no symptons tbh.. it just popped thru over night lol. and we just got a teething necklace for her but she didnt have it on when the tooth cut.

we have our first molar on its way,its causing him discomfort,poor little mite.

has anyones LO had the runs through teething?
    Claire xx

( I'm on an IPhone! Sorry for any predictive text randoms!!!)

dentinox worked wonders for us when her first tooth was coming through

Quote Originally Posted by *CLAIREBEAR*
    we have our first molar on its way,its causing him discomfort,poor little mite.

yeah, ashlee did a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by KayliRose
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity
    dentinox worked wonders for us when her first tooth was coming through
    dentinox teething gel? I didnt know they did it
    oh , yeah! its brilliant! in a little box like calpol etc. get it from most chemists/supermarkets! it helped ashlee a lot when her first tooth came through.

Quote Originally Posted by KayliRose
    she's only two months though! well two months and a week or so. Seems so early. Right off to pharmacy, Ill let y'all know how I get on x
    ashlee had her first tooth at 3 months old! she's now got four, she's not even 6 months yet! babies are all different! i'm sure i read that babies can be born teething!

good luck, hope the baba is ok

Quote Originally Posted by *CLAIREBEAR*

only major reason i knew alice was cutting her back ones.
    Mum to Alice (6) and Lewis (4)
    x

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast