Thread: Community Care Grant

Community Care Grant

Hi Ladies

I am officially moving to a 2 bedroom house, yipee!! However, it's unfurnished so it's causing a problem trying to find furniture on such a low budget as I am on income support etc.

UNTIL I found out about the 'Community Care Grant'; you can be paid up to £1000.00, depending on your application, for help towards the cost of furniture etc. There is a long list of what circumstances apply to those who can claim, however, if you are moving to your first home, being unfurnished, you can apply as a single parent (it may also be for couples with children too but you will have to contact the Jobcentre about that).

So I thought I would tell you about this, after all it helps and what's the worst they could do? Say no?

What is a Community Care Grant?

This is a tax-free sum of money that you do not have to pay back. A Community Care Grant can help people to cope with special difficulties.

What is it for?

A Community Care Grant could help you:

return to the community after being in care
    stay in your home rather than go into care
    set up home in the community after having an unsettled way of life (as part of a planned programme to resettle you)
    care for a prisoner or young offender when they leave prison on temporary licence
    ease exceptional pressures on you and your family, or
    pay for certain travel expenses like going to a family funeral or visiting someone who is ill.
    The application form you fill in will help you to give all the right information.

Can I get a Community Care Grant?

You may be able to get a Community Care Grant if you are getting:

Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Pension Credit
    payment on account of one of these benefits, or
    if you are due to leave care within the next 6 weeks and are likely to get one of these benefits when you leave
    How much can I get?

We will pay what we think is right for the things you apply for and we may check costs with you if they seem too much.

We cannot pay a grant of less than £30 unless it is for travel costs.

What do I need to do next?

You can download a Community Care Grant form

You can download a Community Care Grant form in PDF format. The form comes with notes that will help you fill it in. This form does not apply to Northern Ireland.

When do I apply?

You should apply as soon as you need something. If you are in care and will need something when you leave, you can apply up to 6 weeks before the date you are due to leave.
    You can find the above mentioned information on the following link, as well as the application form;

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...13948.xml.html

Hope this is of some use xx

Jo
    Mummy to an Autistic boy

Re: Community Care Grant

Great, thank you for posting. We're not entitled to benefits of that kind due to my husband's salary, but it's always good to know

I know I am struggling at the moment, it was hard to find a landlord that would take full benefits without stringing out the process. Then I came across 2 properties with gardens, unfurnished and landlord was fine but it caused headaches because I am currently in a furnished place. Being a single mother and unemployed I started worrying and then a friend told me about this grant.

If I am not accepted, atleast I tried but in the mean time, I always have http://www.freecycle.org.uk, people give away their furnishing etc for free and it's crazy how much good stuff you can get for no price at all!
    Mummy to an Autistic boy

Yes this is a great help and they nearly alwasy pay out as long as your not up to the mimit. But even then they can it.
    I would make sure you always ask for alot more then you need as they alwasy cut it right down

Oh & you can just pop into your local job centre for a form

I've applied for this twice when I moved out of my mums at the beginning of last year and listed beds,fridge, carpets etc, sofas... and twice I got a reply saying I can have £100 for the fridge but thats it and I have to pay it back.
    So I applied for a crisis loan instead and got £800 but still had to pay £20 a week back.
    When I applied for the CCG they said no as I wasn't coming out of care or a hostel or prison etc so I wasn't entitled

oooops, edit to add its kimbo, not sam, orgot to log out

m/c April 2007 @5 weeks
    m/c May 2014 @9 weeks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sam&boys View Post
    I've applied for this twice when I moved out of my mums at the beginning of last year and listed beds,fridge, carpets etc, sofas... and twice I got a reply saying I can have £100 for the fridge but thats it and I have to pay it back.
    So I applied for a crisis loan instead and got £800 but still had to pay £20 a week back.
    When I applied for the CCG they said no as I wasn't coming out of care or a hostel or prison etc so I wasn't entitled

oooops, edit to add its kimbo, not sam, orgot to log out

i could of wrote that! i tried twice and got refused twice too.