Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing more with less - huge house declutter (huge amount of clutter. Not huge house s

Advertise here
    Our website visitors could be seeing your advert here
    Sounds like the answer is we all need to tidy our OHs away 😂

Its a never ending battle. I sorted our bedroom today and swore and complained under my breath the whole time. But at last I've done the whole house. I honestly can't recommend the kon mari thing enough. It took me hours and hours last time and although my house was cluttered this week the basis of the kon mari thing was still there and it took me no time to go through the house.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sage; 13-07-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Registered User Suzie and her girls's Avatar
    Over the rainbow... Up a tree... In the chicken coop... Under a pile of coats... In the kitchen...
    Blog Entries
    I've got the konmari book and do try to follow the concept. I struggle with other people's stuff though.
    Hate being the only one who cares about it all as well!
    M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to Faith (8), Ellie (7), Seren (3) and Felicity (2)

I dnt have the books but its the way i started going about decluttering and going through my things, some aspects i found it useful for but others i found i just couldnt keep up with it, like the folding methods. I think a more minimalist approach works better for me, as i want less things not just being better at organising and tidying it away. I think thats where the differences lie, i want less and less. I want empty drawers and shelves, not organised boxes and baskets of things.
    Mum to 3 little dinos. O, T & Baby C!

Living a simpler life of 'Less is More.'

I found I had so much less retrotrex. If it didn't spark joy or was useful it went and I kept to the rule of only keeping one type of useful thing. I don't do the folding only t-shirts but its a much quicker way. The main thing I took away from it was keep things in categories together. It makes tidying so much easier and I no where everything is. I just need to keep up with the daily pick up as sometimes I leave it over 24hrs then it looks like I've been burgled!!

I think the thing i ddnt like about it was that there were so many rules to it iyswim, the folding, the best way of doing it, the way to organise the stuff afterwards, it seemed abit too 'heres abook on how to do it and how to doit right.. follow me' i got a bit too wound up with thinking i needed to find lots of nice little storage containers and compartmentalise everything and i know i cant keep that up, and the if things slide then i just feel like i need to reduce again, the less stuff i have to compartmentalise and put ina pretty sotrage tray the better and if ive gotta use my mental energy making sure i fold things im not gaining that free time and mental space.

I just didnt find it relaxing i think. lol

yes I totally agree with what you are saying! I need to look more into the mental side of minimalism. I def don't have a grasp of it! more free time mentally from having to do or think I have to do chores would be great! I guess I only follow her sparks joy and usefulness rule and as well as organising through categories. That's all ive taken away from it and find it really works. My clothes go in my drawers folded or rammed depending on what day I'm having. My socks aren't crying in balls either!! I don't buy any pretty containers things just have a place or an empty box that was from amazon. like the whole families paper work is in a folder in the office. So I don't have to hunt for past exam papers, cv's, passports a statement ect. All the kids board games are in the drawers in the toy room, so its easy to put away if I find missing pieces under the sofa. All my stuff for parties such as paper plates are in a box in a kitchen cupboard so I don't have to looks round the whole kitchen for candles, cocktail sticks or banners when a party comes round. I also find it so easy when I tidy up. before I use to tidy a room by putting stuff in cupboards in an orderly fashion. but it just looked tidy but really it was a mixture of crap and as soon as a tiny hand or husbands sifted through it for one thing it was a jumble of crap. At least now when the men in my life do that they're just sifting through a box full of batteries of just a stationary supply box to get an elastic band. I'm lazy too and like to just chuck something into the right place and its done! Its not stayed perfect at all but I'm not stressed over clutter as much as I was 2 years ago.

How did you get on suzie?

Over the rainbow... Up a tree... In the chicken coop... Under a pile of coats... In the kitchen...
    Blog Entries
    I think konmari made me feel worse about myself. I felt like there was even more I was supposed to be achieving. I definitely try and follow the keeping only what we love or is useful but the rest stressed me out. When trying to clear stuff I found myself worrying that I couldn't get my leggings folded in the right proportion to stand up and it just seemed a backwards step for me.

Going slowly as it's Seren's birthday and party tomorrow so have been super busy with that. Done a few bits though. Debating some bigger changes.

Yeah I got fed up of the folding thing its a waste of time! Also the way she stores clothes is so fussy! Hope the party goes well!!

Yea, i think it had a similar affect on me, the 'goals' thing and it seemed to go against what i wanted to get out from decluttering and reducing our things. I wanted to make it simpler,.. folding my tops to stand up and categorise everything just didnt do that. Sure it makes things easier to see but i dn want to spend that time folding it intricately and having to re do it if it wont stand properly. I dnt want to have to practise something like folding my clothes as its adding to my stuff i have to think n do.

I agree with the folding I started piling clothes on top of their dressers to fold later as I couldn't be bothered to waste time folding. I do stack t-shirts in a line but I literally fold it normal and just in half again and ram them next to each other 😂. I can't fault the category thing though. It helps you focus on what you have in the house. I know where everything is. It makes tidying so much easier. I don't have a single mixed clutter drawer or storage. It made me think about what I needed to buy. I thought it would be a mess again in a week but it stayed organised for over a year. I only lost it a bit since Jan as I was too busy in uni to do anything. But was pleasantly surprised it took me no time to get it back. Just need to keep up with the cleaning now! Now that's something I've never been able to sort. I alternate between doing it constantly to nothing!

Blog Entries
    Yeh that's my plan. A place for each specific thing. No more random crap drawers.

We've agreed today to swap the rooms over and stick some paint on. All during the week he has off in august. going to try and get as much sorted and binned until then.

Hopefully it'll give the girls the extra space they need and help me sleep a bit better too. Mess affects my head!

I find that everything in it's own place is the only way it works here. Our storage is key and the kids know what things go where. I'm going through a massive clothes declutter at the minute. I only have 1 crap cupboard and i make myself go through it on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    DS1 - 6
    DS2 - 3&1/2
    DD1 - 18 months
    DD2 - 1 month

Take your FOLIC ACID - preferably before conception. Your babies brain develops before 12dpo
    MMC@ 12+3 July 09 - Chem Preg Jan 10

I hope your declutter is going well Suzy. We are hoping to buy a house. At the minute we are in a huge bungalow and we'll be buying a 3bed semi. So i'm going through bedrooms at the minute. The boys room i did yesterday and cleared out loads of toys. I'm not going to do their clothes until ds1 starts school in september because then he'll not need as much. I need to get dd's room done next. Then it'll be the kitchen and utility room.

Blog Entries
    Well we managed to switch the kids to the biggest room.
    The rest of the house is total chaos

Their room beforehand and ours before. They now have ours:

wow well done what a difference!