Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing more with less - huge house declutter (huge amount of clutter. Not huge house s

Registered User Suzie and her girls's Avatar
    Over the rainbow... Up a tree... In the chicken coop... Under a pile of coats... In the kitchen...
    Blog Entries

Doing more with less - huge house declutter (huge amount of clutter. Not huge house s

Advertise here
    Our website visitors could be seeing your advert here
    I. Am. Fed. Up.
    My house is a tip. Lots of piles of crap waiting to be 'sorted'. Things over flowing. Stuff everywhere. Most of which never gets looked at. The kids play with about 10% of their stuff.
    We are in a small 3 bed house (one is a box room that doesn't even fit a single bed) with an open plan downstairs so everything spreads.

My aim is to get rid of as much as possible. One car boot sale and anything that's left to charity.
    I want as much gone as possible. It's a mammoth task but I hate living in this mess!

Photos and a shocking house tour video to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to Faith (8), Ellie (7), Seren (3) and Felicity (2)

I have been doing the same with my house regularly to keep on top of things for the last 2 years. We have far less stuff now than we used to and imo, of what youd expect a family with 3 kids to have and yet theres always more i can see ourselves doing without. I prefer the house to be more minimal and simple. Its easier to tidy away each room and to find things and clean. Stuff still piles up and gets cluttered if i dnt keep on top of the housewrk n such so thats why i know im still not at a comfortable place with it but i thinks its always something i'll want to keep going with.

Im not the sort of minimalist that will count what they own or only keep the bare essentials but i do like owning as little as we can comfortably function with and still have the things we want in the house too. I find it easy to get rid of things, it brings a sense of calm and lightness to the house and my well being.

I have a diary if you havent seen it, in the filofax section about it, goals, areas to tackle, feelings i get from it, YT videos that help, interesting blog post or books i find;

http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...e-Living-diary
    Last edited by RetroTrex; 11-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.
    Mum to 3 little dinos. O, T & Baby C!

Living a simpler life of 'Less is More.'

Good luck hun I'm another that seems to have sneaky clutter fairies in the night. Its a never ending battle I can't seem to win! I defo know that my cleaning suffers when there is clutter about. Its a nasty cycle!

Am I right in saying we all have 3+ kids and husbands that make equal amounts of mess too 😂

I've def found organising in categories helpful. Everything has a home and I only have what I need. I just find it hard that unless I spend hours a day cleaning or putting things back I cant keep up. If I don't tidy for one day things go back to square one!! However konmaring the whole house has massively helped. I'm doing my kitchen/diner/utility categories today.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hope this makes you feel better! I cleaned the kitchen and all the units were free after school and table clean. Now today it looks like this!! FML right??!! Every day. Without fail. It ends up like this!

Last edited by Sage; 11-07-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Over the rainbow... Up a tree... In the chicken coop... Under a pile of coats... In the kitchen...
    Blog Entries
    Yep. That's what happens here too. All. The. Time.

Me and hubbys room is awful. It's where everything gets shoved. I cannot walk down the side of my bed at the moment as he got a strop on about not being about to get into his wardrobe (due to his clothes all being on the floor) and dumped some other stuff my side.

This morning I filled 5 black sacks of stuff and put them on my bed. Just because I had people coming over and that's just what was 'loose'. Am going to go through every bit of the lounge/diner tonight if I can and then I'll work my way through each sack. Going to sleep on the sofa so I can use our room as a temporary place to sort.

I couldn't do proper minimalism. I like things. But in my head I am a proper organised tidy clean neat freak and I find the reality of 4 kids in a small house with a messy husband overwhelming so rather than doing a small amount that seems un noticeable I just don't do anything!

So much stuff that we do not need or use or want.

Should have taken a before photo yesterday before I bagged the stuff. Will take some photos later. Would love to get the main living area done before the summer holidays so we can live in it ok and I can sort the rest as and when I get a chance

Oh and I start my masters in October and have my smallest going to a childminder a couple of days a week so am hoping I can get it to a state where I can do one big clean when there are no kids around one day in a couple of hours and then keep up with the rest of it.

What toys would you not get rid of?
    We've train track and mega blocks and toot toot that is never touched. Half tempted to sell it all.
    They love their soft toys and play figures most. And drawing and play doh. So maybe I should ditch the rest? Seren's birthday Sunday and I've bought her very little toy-wise. She's got a scooter. New wellies. A picnic blanket. Beauty and the beast figures (her fave) and a beauty and the beast towel with her name on. She's getting sensible presents from family too luckily.

Ive tried to keep up with a cleaning schedule since I finished uni mid may and its not worked as the house needed organising. Ive learnt that if I have a lot of stuff about my cleaning goes out the window. I cant stand "stuff" everywhere but I'm obviously equally happy to let it build up and not do anything. Then I spend half my time worrying about what to do with it!!! I'm a serious procrastinator. Ive broke the back of it now and I almost feel like I can breath again without the stuff everywhere! I'm the same suzie I could never be a true minimalist as I'm a serious home décor faffer and buyer. But I am a massive believer in the konmari method of everything in a category in one place. it makes tidying SO much easier!! That utility room only took me an hour to do and I was surprised that although it was a tip, nearly all the stuff in there was the 4 categories I set for that konmari clearout I did 18months ago. it took me a whole day last time.

In regardsto toys if they don't ever play its best to get rid. I hold emotional attachments to toys. especially if they are in great nick. All 3 of mine absolutely loved the Disney cars when they were little and I just cant part with them. ive put them in a storage box under my bed. i'd like to keep some of the boys favourite stuff for maybe when they have children. I might do the same with all their duplo. its funny how you can get attached to certain things. Lots of other sets of toys ive sold on local fb selling sites. I never miss It once its gone and am glad for the space and a bit of money back.

Blog Entries
    Yeh I'm the same with some of the some of the toys. I don't mind cleaning but I can't clean when there's mess and it just spirals.

Am exhausted today and got to pack for Faith's camp but I think I'll make a list and a plan of what to tackle where. Breaking it down by room and area and setting myself a timer maybe. Maybe 30 minutes of sorting can earn me 10 minutes of crap tv or something

Here's the downstairs of my house. Bare in mind that this is AFTER removing 5 sacks of 'stuff' (random bags, leftover holiday stuff, toys etc). So this is a better version of it. It starts in the utility room. Which is currently home to a treadmill and whatever else has been lobbed in there over the last 6 months since I last sorted it

https://youtu.be/LEdKhQkNmDk

its not too bad at all hun. Just keep going with the clear out and find a home for things and you'll be sorted! Its very unrewarding when it all breeds again in a matter of weeks isn't it! I spend so much time worrying over the state of the house it infuriates me that when I get it sorted it doesn't stay that way!! Mine massively goes down hill when I am in uni as I just don't have the time. From our bedroom and the 2 boys rooms, kitchen and utility ive managed to bag up 8 bin bags. don't know where all this sh!t comes from!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    its not too bad at all hun. Just keep going with the clear out and find a home for things and you'll be sorted! Its very unrewarding when it all breeds again in a matter of weeks isn't it! I spend so much time worrying over the state of the house it infuriates me that when I get it sorted it doesn't stay that way!! Mine massively goes down hill when I am in uni as I just don't have the time. From our bedroom and the 2 boys rooms, kitchen and utility ive managed to bag up 8 bin bags. don't know where all this sh!t comes from!!!
    don't forget that downstairs is the good bit struggle in the kids' room because there is no room. Can't get in the drawers without moving the bed and the same with the wardrobes. Really need to decide if we are switching rooms with them but no idea how we'd manage that.

It is such hard thankless work and I'm the only one who does it of course

Exactly the same here it causes many arguments in the house. My husband does f all cleaning Wise and he's terrible at picking up after himself. Don't get me started on that one 😂

my upstairs was horrific this time last week and it really does get you down! I wanted to redecorate our bedroom and promised myself I'm not allowed to do it until I've tidied first. Will finish off our bedroom tomorrow then I can decorate! The 4th bedroom which is used as my office/hoard room is terrrrrible! Hardest room to declutter as I love all the crap that's in it!! Bathrooms could do with a good clean and paint too. Its never ending!! I'll prob get it all done just in time for uni to start and it will go down hill again 😂

That does sound like hard work hun!! Could you store stuff downstairs while you try and swap?

Last edited by Sage; 11-07-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Is there scope to get 2 sets of double bunks in the bigger girls room and then put the wardrobe etc in the small one? A dressing room sort of thing? No toys in the bedrooms here. At all. The boys have quite small rooms abs they need all the space they can get

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    DS1 - 6
    DS2 - 3&1/2
    DD1 - 18 months
    DD2 - 1 month

Take your FOLIC ACID - preferably before conception. Your babies brain develops before 12dpo
    MMC@ 12+3 July 09 - Chem Preg Jan 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jills10uk View Post
    Is there scope to get 2 sets of double bunks in the bigger girls room and then put the wardrobe etc in the small one? A dressing room sort of thing? No toys in the bedrooms here. At all. The boys have quite small rooms abs they need all the space they can get

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Maybe. That might be the eventual plan. TBH we have no money to buy anything at the moment. Would have to be our room that had two sets of bunks and we'd have to have the middle sized room.

I feel your pain we're in a 2 bed apartment and the master bedroom is the dumping ground. Sometimes changing up the storage can help massively. We're managing to store loads of toys in the kids room with Ikea Kallax, but still running out of space.
    Mummy to two girlies aged 4 and 6

We are the same. Stuff just builds up - no matter how fast I clear it it is all back within half an hour! So I do let it slide sometimes as 1. No time when I'm at work and 2. DH complains but never tidies himself, it is always me.
    We had to clear out the loft a few years ago for a loft conversion but 4 years on we still have loads of *loft stuff* and nowhere to put it! We have some small eves cupboards for things you never want to see again and now have boxes piled up in our spare room. So the spare room is now our loft if you like - we have just transferred the crap into a different room lol!
    I have to be in the right frame of mind to sort stuff - no kids, no work, not tired. That happens about once every 2 months if I'm lucky.

Blog Entries
    Yeh it's so hard isn't it. I'm glad it isn't just me though. Feel like I'm failing sometimes.

It's so difficult after a long day. I can't sort with the kids around very easily and by the time they are in bed I'm exhausted.