Thread: Forearm tattoo virgin! - any tips?

Question Forearm tattoo virgin! - any tips?

Advertise here
    Our website visitors could be seeing your advert here
    Okay..so at the tender age of 27 I'm deciding to have my first tattoo!..id be lying if i said I wasn't bricking it!

I'm either getting it next payday or some time this week, after trawling Google and reading some articles about it..im left with a range of answers to my questions..does it hurt? Some say it absolutely battered (hurt! Loads) And some say it felt like a cat scratch!..and nothing helpful in between! Now my OH who has 8 tattoos seems to think I'll breeze it after going 24 hours in labour with just paracetamol and codeine..but really child birth and getting a tattoo aren't in the same ball park really are They?

I have a really big needle phobia and I'm quite a wuss when it comes to pain!

So ladies (And gents) with forearm tattoos..what was it like for you? And of course any pointers and tips for someone new to the world of tattoos?

Thanks!

x4 Angels .. March '11 | May '11 | January '14 | April '17
    Ian (31) & Gracie (27)| 13.O3.2O1O <3
    Please Stay With Us Tomato Seed

Well I have 26 and 2 sleeves.

Where about on your forearm you getting it ?

I've got an almost complete sleeve and for me it was fine. It hurt a bit. You're having needles stuck into your skin thousands of times so it's not going to tickle, but it wasn't bad. I go more scratch than actual needle prick if that makes sense. Sometimes the colouring can get a little sore when they have to keep going over it but other than that I love getting tattooed!

Believe it or not, that little star hurt the most. I think that's because it's in the crease of my arm.

Pointers, I'd say make sure you eat something before hand and take a sugary drink with you too otherwise you may find you become a little feint.

Sent from my HTC m9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skairdykat; 12-03-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyUnicorn View Post
    Well I have 26 and 2 sleeves.

Where about on your forearm you getting it ?
    In between my wrist and my elbow..somrwhere in the middle so it's not going to go over much bone or veins I don't think..i hate needles with a passion but if it's more a scratch pain I can deal with that, it's more the stabbing or burny pain that's putting me off!

Nice tattoos skairdykat

Itll be scratchy. But I sat for my inner forearm and elbow ditch for 7 hours straight so cant be that bad.

tips... eat well
    take some lollipops, gives you a sugar boost but also something to suck or bite on if it does hurt.
    take a book or an ipad to distract you with.
    or put your headphones in and play music

the pain comes and goes. so the first lil bit hurts more and then it gets easier.

As for needles. LOOOOADDS of tattoo folk are scared of needles but ok with tattoos. I think because it doesnt look like a needle and that it doesnt feel the same. obviously needles go much deeper and tattoos only break first few layers of skin. So dont worry. think of it as a tattoo machine or tattoo gun rather than a needle. and if it helps dont look.

Ive got one on my wrist & one just below my elbow. I wouldnt say they hurt any more than my other tattoos.
    In all honesty, it will hurt but you do get used to it. I always think it feels a bit like a burning sensation. It's uncomfortable but managable. My longest sitting was nearly 2 hours & I think i'd just about reached my limit by then.
    If you dont like needles, I'd suggest not watching lol. Xx

Scratchy & a bit like sunburn I'd say. The worst tattoo for me is a toss up between bingo wing & shin. I think the shin clinches it though!
    Definitely eat before hand, take a good drink with you (lucozade or similar)
    I'd rather get 10 tattoos at one time than have another c-section, that's for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't look or feel like a needle so I wouldn't worry about that! The noise is quite scary but it's not a jumpy shock pain iykwim? I have a few and the one on my wrist hurt the most. Imagine scratching yourself with a really sharp nail over and over and over again in the same place, it's sore like that I think. A nagging discomfort rather than pain. Maybe like a chinese burn? It's so hard to describe! X

Thanks guys! , ahhh chinese burns i remember those..they do smart a bit haha!

Going to go and talk to the tattoo guys after work tomorrow and see if they can reassure me a little, i know the shop usually lets people have a look around and even try it without the ink and see if the person can deal with it, so i may have to see about that

I've got two on my calf, the first is in the middle and the second is just below it.

The first one was sore, but not unbearable. The second one near enough killed me off! I had more colour in the second one so he was going over the same area again and again and again. In the end I told him if he carried on going over it I would shove his tattoo machine up his butt! Luckily he's a good friend haha.

Eat well before you go, I didn't the second time and I think that's what made it worse. As everyone else says, sugary foods and plenty to drink.

Mine hurt more afterwards too. So make sure you look after your tattoo after it's done. Leave whatever the tattooist puts on your arm (usually cling film) for about an hour or so (IIRC ) then gently clean it up with water. Whack on whatever your chosen cream is (I used Bepanthen - some studios have this awesome stuff that I can't remember the name off) and try to forget about it for a few hours lol.

As a side note, the post above says that the shin really hurt. That's not helpful my next one is on my shin

Text Buddys with the gorgeous and wonderful Sossy!!
    Please excuse all missing or extra letters. My keyboard isnt behaving at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by SassyJay View Post

As a side note, the post above says that the shin really hurt. That's not helpful my next one is on my shin

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Pattiamy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyJay View Post

sorry

I swear I'm never gonna get it done I've been putting it off for just over a year!

Text Buddys with the gorgeous and wonderful Sossy!!
    Please excuse all missing or extra letters. My keyboard isnt behaving at the moment

The pain only lasts as long as any other tattoo! I had work the next morning though (8h on my feet) & it swelled quite badly lol but other wise if you want it there, get it done & out of the way. You'll soon forget about it!

I have a few and the two on my back hurt the most. They weren't by any means unbearable, it was simply because it's a less fleshy place to have them so I could feel the vibration on my bone more and it felt more scratchy. On the other hand I had a tattoo on the top of my foot which everyone seems to say will hurt but it didn't, it was like someone scratching an itch. I have a tattoo on the inside of my right forearm which felt quite sore but more afterwards than during, felt like a big graze.
    Someone said above about eating first, definitely do this! And drink a sugary tea too. The tattoo on my lower left leg took about three hours (which I know isn't long in comparison to some, but was the longest out of all of mine) and eating a couple of biscuits and drinking sugary tea helped miles as I started to feel light headed. Same thing with two I had done together, I hadn't eaten or drunk beforehand and I felt pretty awful immediately after but once I had a sugary tea I was absolutely fine so this is a definite

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want one. On my upper arm out of sight when I work. I've wanted one since I was a teenager. I know what I want exactly but I am not arty lol

Life is what you make it.