Thread: 18m sleep regression?

18m sleep regression?

Any tips on surviving it? He was only 17m yesterday, but was 2w late & has always hit leaps/spurts around the time he was due to be that age (if that makes sense?)
    The last week or so (except Sunday night/Monday morning) he's been getting up at 4/4:30/5.
    We go in, find his dummy (bloody thing) and tell him it's still sleepy time. He's generally happy/chatting away until we lie him back down & pat his bum. Then he starts getting agitated. He's still tired as he's still rubbing his eyes etc & starts dozing as soon as he's picked up, but as soon as he's put in his cot he's wide awake & crying. 9/10 he ends up back in our bed.
    This morning he was up at 4:10, we gave him calpol at 5:30 as he is teething. I don't want to rely on calpol to settle him, so we wait a bit to see if he will settle.
    Any advice on how to cope/easier ways to get him to settle would be greatly appreciated x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Freyja she ended up having a dummy in her mouth and two to hold....made it easier for her to find one lmao.

Seriously though, Tobyn is the same. Never knew there was a sleep regression I'm scared now as he's only 16 month lol.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Freyja Mikaela. Born at 39 weeks, 03/04/13, 6lb 1oz

Tobyn Harry. Born at 39+4 weeks, 25/09/15, 7lb 11oz

He won't hold anything while asleep, legs, feet, arms & hands end up everywhere. We can leave his dummy near his face when we check on him before bed then it'll be under the cot by 4am
    I never realised there'd be one
    Aidan's only just 17m! Seems to get places really quick in his development then take forever to get out of it I want my happy baby back ☹️

Oh no - the dreaded early starts! I remember them well 😬😬😞 I never found a cure.... we just had to wait it out and ended up just taking her (and my son when he had it) downstairs let them lie on me with a bottle and watch Tv!! I tried absolutely everything. Thankfully she's now gone the opposite way and will sleep in until I wake her... so keep in your head that it's just a phase. I did keep trying to delay her evening bedtime until 7.30pm instead of 7pm (or later) ... it did make her get up around 5am instead. But the best way to get through it is to go to bed earlier yourself and wait it out.

Very best of luck xx

💞 Mmc 19th March 2016. You'll always be in my heart. Chemical pregnancy July 16' Love you both, always will xx

He was up at 6:45 yesterday but back to before 6 this morning
    I have work at 6:30am Saturday & dreading it
    I dread going to bed now as I know I'll be up early & I know I won't be asleep all night due to spd ☹️ hopefully he comes out of it quickly
    Thanks hoping x

I have to say alllll kids are different! My 1st boy formula fed, slept through 5 months. Second boy breast fed, slept through 16 weeks. My 3rd boy bf until 10 months, ff and milk after. Didn't sleep through until bloody 2 years old!! I did nothing different! He was just a beautiful stubborn bugger! I tried everything, he just didn't want to sleep! Sorry I have no advice as everything we tired never worked! Lol he just didn't want to sleep!!
    Last edited by misslarue; 10-02-2017 at 01:38 AM.

My DS has always been an early waked I remember being up at 5am doing dishes and washing when he was little but DD sleeps till 7.30 at the earliest usually. Hopefully it'll be a phase for you and he'll start sleepin later I'd try not to get into the habit ignoring taking him downstairs I did it and I don't know if it made things worse!

I rarely take him down stairs (I did this morning as he just wasn't settling at all) he was tired by 9:30 though so we went up for a nap his dad will bring him downstairs but 9/10 he'll go to sleep laid on DH on the recliner.
    I can guarantee we'll have to wake him tomorrow as I have work early

I agree with taking him downstairs is a bad idea, in some cases. I'm a big believer in teaching them self settling (my kids are amazing sleepers now ) There was absolutely no way my daughter was going back to sleep during that phase though - she would scream and scream and scream no matter how long I tried to ignore her, or shush pat her etc. so rather than wake up her brother and my husband and the whole house being in a horrific mood, I'd take her downstairs. I did let her nap in the morning, but only for a very short time - 10/15 mins so that she would have her normal lunch sleep at scheduled time and try and keep the routine I wanted her to have (sleep from 7pm until 7am) rather than her schedule! Hope it's short lived for you Xxx

💞 Mmc 19th March 2016. You'll always be in my heart. Chemical pregnancy July 16' Love you both, always will xx

He self settles at night & has done since he was around 14m, it's just in the morning. He's awake no amount of cuddles, tapping, shushing helps. In fact he'll be even more awake if we did that
    Hoping it's just a few weeks thing lol Mumma needs sleep! X

Sounds exactly like my daughter was! It doesn't help you're pregnant and knackered with back pain too.... they pick their moments don't they!! Xx

Oh yes! I can't complain too much as we nap together during the day, but he sleeps loads on a Sunday, my normal shift at work not sure how DH does it, maybe he's that boring