Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a reproductive clinic

Choosing a reproductive clinic

Hi, everybody. I want to ask your advice what to do further… I can’t become pregnant cause of serious kidney problems. We have already consulted several doctors and all of them advised us to apply for surrogacy. I’m a resident of the UK. According to the laws a surrogate mother has all rights for the child here. In order to get entire rights for our future baby, my husband and I have decided to find a surrogate mother for our baby somewhere abroad. Actually, we decided to go to Ukraine and ask a Ukrainian woman to help us.
    Several months ago, we were in Kiev and paid a visit to a Ukrainian clinic Biotexcom. This clinic has very affordable prices for their services. In addition, we liked the fact that intended parents have entire rights to the baby, and we can just buy the services of a surrogate mother.
    We decided to contact this clinic because we have found loads of favorable feedbacks about on various fertility forums. In addition, our close Ukrainian friends advised it to us.
    However, when we came to Ukraine and visited it for the first time, we were a little bit shocked.
    Firstly, this clinic turned to be a small private villa. It was so tiny and overcrowded, that we had to wait nearly 2 hours to consult the doctor. We saw large queues nearly everywhere. In addition, we met one couple from France there. They were getting their oocyte donation program there. The husband was annoyed very much, because he had to wait nearly an hour to pick up his sperm.
    Bad organization was seen everywhere: overcrowded clinic halls, unfriendly and busy staff, tired and very formal administrators.
    The doctor whom we met spoke with us very formally. We clearly understood that she treated us like dozens of other patients.
    Of course, we didn’t sign up a contract, and now we are thinking what to do further…
    I just want to ask your opinion about this clinic… Is there anybody here who has contacted it? What do you think about the clinic that can’t organize its work properly?
    P.S. We have also visited another Ukrainian clinic. It was Nadia. The clinic looks rather presentable. We were met by a courteous administrator, polite manager and a very soothing doctor. We liked the way we were treated there. However, the clinic hall was nearly empty if compared with Biotexcom. Can we trust this clinic??? Or maybe it’s better to contact another clinic or maybe another country???

Honestly, from what you're saying it sounds as though this clinic is very popular because it's cheap but I would question their ethics, could be just money grabbers & I'd worry about the treatment of the surrogate, and continuity of good care throughout the pregnancy. I would pay more for a better clinic to ensure the surrogate is treated well and all is organised properly, I wouldn't judge a quieter clinic, could be a case of quality over quantity. I would be concerned that the other clinic's moral ethics are below a standard you'd expect!

Are you a part of Surrogacy UK? My friend is a Mum seeking a surrogate, they get paid expenses but I know it's illegal to pay for a surrogate here. They offer lots of events to meet potential surrogates etc. Would it be your egg/Hubby's sperm or for the surrogate to be an egg donor too? X

Mummy to Evie, Travis & Betsy

Hi Minnipili, welcome to the forum.
    Do you know what the success rates are from the first Ukraine clinic you visited and were recommended? I think that would give you a good idea of how they do things. By the sounds of it, they seem rushed off their feet which could be a positive thing, if it means they are very successful, however it comes across more, as Danni said, as a quantity over quality. Though this may not be the case.

If I was in a similar situation I think I would choose to have my treatment in America (Georgia I think is where commercial surrogacy is legal), but I don't think financially it would ever be doable for me, so I can imagine the temptation to try elsewhere being very tempting.

Also waiting an hour for somebody picks up their sperm, wouldn't that be too long to be useful then? that would be so frustrating if that was the case and very unprofessional.

If it's any consolation, when I had my fertility treatment in the UK, the waiting area and rooms where always VERY full with tempers running high.
    Breastfed for 3 years, 11 months and 2 weeks!

hi if you would like recommendations of a clinic in the usa then please pm me. xx

I'm so sorry to read that you are unable to carry the child yourself, that must be heartbreaking - but you sound amazingly strong, and you will be such a good Mummy. I believe that you can only really go on what your gut instinct says. I don't think you felt comfortable in that first clinic, so don't think you ever will with them. It does sound like you need to continue researching and visit a few more.

Very very best of luck
    xxxx

💞 Mmc 19th March 2016. You'll always be in my heart. Chemical pregnancy July 16' Love you both, always will xx

I have come across positive opinions on Biotex com, Nadya and Georgia as well. I think you might find out more on fertilityfriends.

no advice but gl xx

Hi, ladies. Thanks for your messages. They are so supporting and encouraging!!! I know that Bitexcom isn’t a model clinic, but they do have high success ratings. Actually, we decided to choose it after the talk with our close Ukrainian friend. She had unexplained fertility issue. However, only a doctor in Biotexcom was able to help her to conceive. The ethical policy of the clinic is also important for us, because we need to be sure that the woman who will carry and give birth to our child will be treated well. In addition, we want to be sure that she will get a good financial refund for her services.
    When our friend was getting infertility treatment in that clinic, she got acquainted with a surrogate mother. She had a talk with her about the clinic, and the woman told her that the clinic representatives treated her really well. She had all necessary things like medical insurance and monthly medical check ups. The doctors who work in the clinic were always attentive to her needs. In addition, every month she had a phone call from the clinic’s manager to talk about her needs and problems.
    I think it means that the clinic treats surro mums well. However, I can’t understand why they don’t organize clients’ reception properly... I emailed the clinic the other days and asked them to explain why their halls are always so crowded. The manager of the clinic wrote that they were sorry we hadn’t got a good reception during our visit because they had had too many visitors on that day. However, they plan to open three more representations to provide their clients with better services.

It's sounds as though you've got all the right answers you needed to be comfortable with your decision - which is so important. I wish you so so so much luck and best wishes. Xx

💞 Mmc 19th March 2016. You'll always be in my heart. Chemical pregnancy July 16' Love you both, always will xx

As Hoping said, it all sounds as though you've taken all the right steps and priorities are as mine would be too. I wish you all the best! X

Mummy to Evie, Travis & Betsy

Minnipilli it sounds great, wish you yr dreams come true xx

Hi, ladies. Thanx for your messages!!! They are a real support to me!!! My husband and I are just at the beginning of our journey to become parents, so sometimes we need some help from the outside. Yesterday we received an email from Biotexcom representatives. They offer us to visit the clinic one more time. The clinic’s manager even proposed us to take a VIP surrogacy package which implies that we won’t wait in the queues. If we take it we’ll live in a separate apartment in the city center. A premium car automobile will drive us to and from the clinic. In addition, a babysitter will be with our child from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. This package also includes loads of med tests, including PGD to make sure that the baby is totally free. And, finally, they will offer only those surro mum candidates who have already taken part in this program and their experience was positive.
    An economy package includes also free living, transportation, meals and document receiving services. There is a €20.000 difference between both of these packages. I don’t which one to choose. The first one seems really luscious. But do I need all those luxurious things??? What do you think about it, ladies?

It dependson the sum of money you are able to spend. Yes, the first packages doeshave quite a lot of favorable options, and if you choose it you’ll get ababysitter. It’s really convenient cause newborn children always need a greatamount of care and time. However, if you have a scarce budget, shelling money seems quite unreasonable in this case. You’vewritten that if you take a VIP package, you’ll get a surrogate with a positiveexperience. It’s also a big plus, I reckon. You have to deal with a totallyhealthy woman to get a healthy child…

This package also includes loads of med tests, including PGD to make sure that the baby is totally free
    PGD of whom? Check out the experience of their laboratory and if it is certified. It’s very important. A close friend of mine has undergone ivf combined with PGS NGS. She picked top Polish in vitro clinics cos of state-of-the-art laboratory, that gained the internationally recognized certification

Hi! Taking care of small children takes time and energy. Before choosing anything think what you have and how you will take care of your child when you are in Ukraine. Remember, that you will have to visit an embassy to get your papers ready to leave the country. If you don’t find anybody to take care about your child, you will have to do everything by yourself. The VIP package gives you these advantages… But if it costs too much for you, it would be reasonable to choose a cheaper package. Will the clinic help you with a paper work?