Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How close did you work up to your due date?

How close did you work up to your due date?

With DS1 I worked up until 11 days to my due date ( he was a week late). I'm thinking of doing something similar or working a lot closer to it as frankly looking after ds1 is harder than being at work (most of the time). Baby is due on 16th sept originally I was planning to stop on the 5th but thinking of doing another day 11th (12 hrs) I will only be working Monday's. Am I mad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to awesome Captain Jack born 22.02.2014

Baby Brother due September 2016

I usually recommend working as long as you can to enjoy the full benefits of maternity leave, especially if you work 1 day a week.

I work full time but stopped 10 weeks before my DD and I will never regret that!! I'm in recruitment so by the end of it I was sick of all the targets, sales, freezing office (no heating, just one broken crappy electric heater!) the stress of client visits miles away and putting together forecasts and stuff, I didn't have the motivation to put my all into by then! Plus, I was leaving the house at 7am and often not getting home until 6:30pm so was shattered.

I absolutely needed that December and January to fully enjoy the older two children before a baby arrived. We did loads and had a lot of fun over Christmas just spending time as a little family before Betsy arrived!

As it happens, she's been the easiest baby I could ever have imagined! Everything has gone swimmingly and I could easily count on one hand the amount of times I've felt 'stressed' x

Mummy to Evie, Travis & Betsy

I left beginning of August. Maternity leave started 24th August and I had him 25th September. I was 33 weeks when I stopped.
    I wasnt really fit to.work towards the end. My bump got too big to reach things off the shelfs over the bench and I have a massive stomach muscle split and prolapse so suffered with back pain.
    I suppose it depends how physical your job is too. I was on my feet all day- pharmacy dispenser. I did want to work.longer but there was no chance!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Freyja Mikaela. Born at 39 weeks, 03/04/13, 6lb 1oz

Tobyn Harry. Born at 39+4 weeks, 25/09/15, 7lb 11oz

With all three I started mat leave at 36 weeks, mainly because I wanted those last few weeks to get organised and relax before the birth. However with my last pregnancy I used 5 weeks annual leave to finish at 31 weeks. If I hadn't had that leave Id have started mat leave at 31 weeks as I was physically struggling with spd (was on crutches at 34 weeks) and I work on a very busy delivery suite where I'm on my feet and very active for 12.5 hrs.
    beardbeardbeardbeardbeardbeardbeardbeardbeard

I'm a teacher so it's a bit funny for me. I finished in July for the summer holidays with TT who was born on the 20th Oct, but my first official day of maternity leave was the 1st September. I think that was far too long so with Peter I worked til the 19th October and he was born on the 15th Nov but again because of half term, my first actual day of maternity leave was the 9th Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With DS I stopped the day he was born (prem). DD I wanted to work up to 37 weeks. I ended up on the sick with SPD at 30 weeks for 2 weeks then had another prem labour scare at 32 weeks (had one at 26 weeks too) so ended up on bed rest. She was born at 38+4

I was signed off sick at 24 weeks, couldn't cope with being on my feet for so long & was getting stressed with the constant different shifts. I then had 4.5 weeks holiday to take then started maternity leave at 34 weeks.
    Ds was 2 weeks late

38 weeks with my first. Could have gone longer but was finding 90 minutes commute each way uncomfortable with a big bump.

My second I was made redundant at 25 weeks. I enjoyed that though and got married at 35 weeks. 😂

My third I was (still am) self employed. I finished work on the Friday, Benjamin was due on the Sunday, born early hours of Monday and I resumed working the following Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I worked until 11 days to due date this time. It was because I work in a school so was how the holidays fell. I was tired on the last week and it was so hot ( this was last week) but managed and I'm glad I did it. 2nd pregnancy it was 37 and half weeks and could've gone longer and first was 35 weeks- definitely wished I'd gone longer ( however I was very well so think it depends on health)

Mummy to 2 beautiful girls age 5 and 7

Literally a few weeks before I popped. That meant I was able to take longer off work for maternity. Plus I get bored, so never liked just taking too much time off.

I was at uni with my first so did up until we broke up over Christmas at 32 weeks, didn't go back after as he was due end of Jan and arrived mid Jan- a week after we were due to start back.

With DS2 it worked out really well as my holiday renews in January, so I already had Christmas booked off, then took 5 weeks holiday and was due to start maternity at around 38 weeks but he arrived a bit earlier and my actual maternity leave started the day he was born... so really, I ended up stopping at 32 weeks again. It was so nice as had Christmas off and time for DS1 to adjust to not being in childcare 5 days a week and being looked after by me before the baby arrived!
    Proud Mummy to Henry born at 38+6 on the 15/01/13 at 11:27 pm weighing 6lbs 12oz
    Delivered on tens, 2 paracetamol and a birth pool in 3hrs 14 minutes!

Baking #2! EDD 21.2.2016!

Thanks for the input ladies. I spoke to my boss and have come round to the idea that 4 days before my due date is pushing it somewhat. So I'm planning on stopping 11 days before I'm due. My clinical lead said he'd be on call in case I pop before lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to awesome Captain Jack born 22.02.2014

Baby Brother due September 2016

My job contact finished at 28 weeks, so I started maternity then. Heaven

Blog Entries
    Same as I did. I feel like I've had a decent time off so far so would say 11 days is fine as long as you're well and baby isn't early.
    I've even had my other two kids at home as its school holidays and it's ok.

Mummy to 2 beautiful girls age 5 and 7

as a sahm up until i give birth
    i was working full time with some of my other pregs and i finished about 36 weeks then i supose it depends if you want to return ect xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast