Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Probation period & Benefits?

  1. #1
    Registered User MrsDravenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    337

    Question Probation period & Benefits?

    Im not sure there is an area for this, so if it shouldn't be here then please feel free to move it

    I had a job interview yesterday at a law firm!, if I was successful I would have to have a 3 month probation period before I'm hired for definite, if anyone has been in a similar situation, do you get paid for probation periods? I didn't want to ask during the interview incase they thought all I was interested in is money, but that is a help!..But if it is payed probation would I have to let the benefits people know, even if the position was still under consideration?

    Anyway, my OH claims ESA and we get housing benefit as well as getting to skip out of council tax. I told him all about my interview yesterday and how good I was feeling only for him to pour cold water all over my feelings, I now feel totally useless as hes saying that his benefits will be halved, we'll have to pay half the rent and the council tax which is apparently 1,000 a year!!..Where are we bloody living? London?..So we had a majorly large argument..Which I said well you can stay on the dole for the rest of your life if you want, but I actually want to work, I'm sick of scrimping and saving every week only to still struggle to make ends meet!, maybe if I worked we'd be better off..Where we can actually afford a few luxuries..Where nowadays they happen once every blue moon!, we also do get child tax credits, and once a week we're living off just 80 quid a week..Its not enough!!

    My job, if successful (I find out on Tuesday) will be full time hours!, id say 9-5..and maybe overtime a few times..

    Would we be entitled to working tax or anything like that?..Because I really don't want to take a job and then be more poorer than when we started!, but OH has given it his blessing finally and told me we'd have to work something out if we are going to get by!
    [CENTER]
    [B]x4 Angels .. March '11 | May '11 | January '14 | April '17
    Ian (31) & Gracie (28)| 13.O3.2O1O <3

  2. #2
    You will be paid for probation period

    Do you know an hourly rate? If so and actual hours you can go on entitledto site which gives you a rough idea

    You will lose some benefits, as thats the point,you work to afford things!

    Tbh his attitude is appauling. The benefit system is supposed to help people who genuinely need it, not because you are better off not working!!

    Both myself and husband work and get some housing benefit, no council tax benefit but child and working tax credits.

    Is there a reason he cant get a job too?

    Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Freyja Mikaela. Born at 39 weeks, 03/04/13, 6lb 1oz



    Tobyn Harry. Born at 39+4 weeks, 25/09/15, 7lb 11oz


  3. #3
    Tbh 1000 a year is pretty cheap, ours is 1400 & we don't live in London either.
    I agree with Sarah, it's supposed to be a when you need it not a Oh I don't need to do anything, the government & my girlfriends tax money will give me money.
    But yes, probation periods are paid, most - if not all - companies have a probation period x

    Mumma bear to Aidan

  4. #4
    You'll be paid for probation, and you have to tell the job centre as you are an employee, just generally either you or the employer can call it quits with just a days notice during. If your benefits stop there'll be a run-on period to tide you over until you first get paid, I think it's 4 weeks. If you have kids you'll get working tax credit probably unless you're being paid over 26ish K, not sure what the rules are otherwise I'm afraid. Try using the "entitled to" website?

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk






    :: for a BFP for zebrastripes and a happy and healthy 9 months for Lol, BlackSheep and SweetMamaT ::


  5. #5
    Registered User MrsDravenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Sarah View Post
    You will be paid for probation period

    Do you know an hourly rate? If so and actual hours you can go on entitledto site which gives you a rough idea

    You will lose some benefits, as thats the point,you work to afford things!

    Tbh his attitude is appauling. The benefit system is supposed to help people who genuinely need it, not because you are better off not working!!

    Both myself and husband work and get some housing benefit, no council tax benefit but child and working tax credits.

    Is there a reason he cant get a job too?

    Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys!! That's a massive help!, I think at the moment if probation period is paid it'll be minimum wage until they choose to either keep me or get rid of me. (I'm hoping the latter), and once ive proved myself it might go up somewhat, but have to wait and see..Even if it is minimum wage all the way through id still make around 15,000 a year..Which to me is a lot of money!

    He doesn't work due to severe depression, he's suffered since he was a teen and hes now 30..Thats the thing that's scaring me the most is if we lose a lot of money and we are literally just scraping by like usual!, and the fact that we'd struggle! ..But as I said to my OH we'll worry about it when the time comes, at the moment I'm trying not to think about it or build my hopes up!

    Just been on the entitled to website and from all the estimates from what my potential wages might be we'd be 71 quid better off with me being in work!..Thats pretty good, since the past guestimates for jobs have only left us 12 quid better off..Which was laughable really, its like being punished for working
    [CENTER]
    [B]x4 Angels .. March '11 | May '11 | January '14 | April '17
    Ian (31) & Gracie (28)| 13.O3.2O1O <3

  6. #6
    yes you will be paid, yes you will lose benefits. He won't lose a set half, they will consider your income as joint so potentially he may lose all benefits or at least all the council and housing ones, im not sure about the esa. I agree the 1000 a yr council tax is cheap. Mine has never been that low and I was in yorkshire and now Scotland. He should be proud of you, congratulations on the interview and if you get it x
    Gemma 23 Sean 13 Leo 11 Isabella 7 Tayler 5

  7. #7
    My council tax is 1,940 a year and i'm not in London!

    As others have said, you'll be paid for your probationary period. I think you should also take a longer term perspective. Even if it is minimum wage now, as long as you work hard it won't always be. I'm presuming you're quite early on in your career (?). I started out on the equivalent of minimum pay and worked very hard and worked my way up the ladder. If you got a year's experience under your belt, I'm sure you could use that as a stepping stone to move to a better paid job.
    Cheering Reddybeck to her BFP

  8. #8
    Registered User MrsDravenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
    My council tax is 1,940 a year and i'm not in London!

    As others have said, you'll be paid for your probationary period. I think you should also take a longer term perspective. Even if it is minimum wage now, as long as you work hard it won't always be. I'm presuming you're quite early on in your career (?). I started out on the equivalent of minimum pay and worked very hard and worked my way up the ladder. If you got a year's experience under your belt, I'm sure you could use that as a stepping stone to move to a better paid job.
    I suppose ive been bought up to appreciate money, ive never had a grand so that's probably why I find it so expensive or a lot of money to pay, our council is crap..So they don't deserve the grand out of my wages

    It was for an Administration Assistant, so if there was room to grow or move up the ranks..Then I could do that, but then again if I really like the job, that'll be me done job hunting..But I do like the place and the people from what I saw on Friday lol!
    [CENTER]
    [B]x4 Angels .. March '11 | May '11 | January '14 | April '17
    Ian (31) & Gracie (28)| 13.O3.2O1O <3

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDravenx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
    My council tax is 1,940 a year and i'm not in London!

    As others have said, you'll be paid for your probationary period. I think you should also take a longer term perspective. Even if it is minimum wage now, as long as you work hard it won't always be. I'm presuming you're quite early on in your career (?). I started out on the equivalent of minimum pay and worked very hard and worked my way up the ladder. If you got a year's experience under your belt, I'm sure you could use that as a stepping stone to move to a better paid job.
    I suppose ive been bought up to appreciate money, ive never had a grand so that's probably why I find it so expensive or a lot of money to pay, our council is crap..So they don't deserve the grand out of my wages

    It was for an Administration Assistant, so if there was room to grow or move up the ranks..Then I could do that, but then again if I really like the job, that'll be me done job hunting..But I do like the place and the people from what I saw on Friday lol!
    I wish you the best of luck! I started out as an admin assistant 20 odd years ago. If you do get the job it would be fantastic for you but if you don't, then I'd view the interview as experience and apply for more jobs. Let us know how you get on.
    Cheering Reddybeck to her BFP

  10. #10
    It depends on the company. My husband is in a probationary period but on 8.19 an hour, doesnt go up after probationary period

    Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Freyja Mikaela. Born at 39 weeks, 03/04/13, 6lb 1oz



    Tobyn Harry. Born at 39+4 weeks, 25/09/15, 7lb 11oz


  11. #11
    The Advisors in the Job Centre should be able to do a 'better off' calculation for you.

    And no-one likes paying Council Tax, but most of us have to I'm afraid. And I wouldn't consider not paying it, there are severe penalties for not paying if you are not exempt.
    DD1 is nearly 11 years old DS is nearly 9 years old DD2 is 16 months old

  12. #12
    Registered User MrsDravenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    The Advisors in the Job Centre should be able to do a 'better off' calculation for you.

    And no-one likes paying Council Tax, but most of us have to I'm afraid. And I wouldn't consider not paying it, there are severe penalties for not paying if you are not exempt.
    Oh, I wasn't going to NOY pay it, I'm just shocked at how expensive it is for such a horrible area where I live

    I wonder if you could pay it in installments as there's no way we'd probably be able afford a grand a year?..Either that or we'd have to move :/
    [CENTER]
    [B]x4 Angels .. March '11 | May '11 | January '14 | April '17
    Ian (31) & Gracie (28)| 13.O3.2O1O <3

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDravenx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    The Advisors in the Job Centre should be able to do a 'better off' calculation for you.

    And no-one likes paying Council Tax, but most of us have to I'm afraid. And I wouldn't consider not paying it, there are severe penalties for not paying if you are not exempt.
    Oh, I wasn't going to NOY pay it, I'm just shocked at how expensive it is for such a horrible area where I live
    I wonder if you could pay it in installments as there's no way we'd probably be able afford a grand a year?..Either that or we'd have to move :/
    You generally pay it monthly. Ours is 108 per month.

    Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Freyja Mikaela. Born at 39 weeks, 03/04/13, 6lb 1oz



    Tobyn Harry. Born at 39+4 weeks, 25/09/15, 7lb 11oz


  14. #14
    Member Phoenix Song's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    44,493
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDravenx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    The Advisors in the Job Centre should be able to do a 'better off' calculation for you.

    And no-one likes paying Council Tax, but most of us have to I'm afraid. And I wouldn't consider not paying it, there are severe penalties for not paying if you are not exempt.
    Oh, I wasn't going to NOY pay it, I'm just shocked at how expensive it is for such a horrible area where I live

    I wonder if you could pay it in installments as there's no way we'd probably be able afford a grand a year?..Either that or we'd have to move :/
    1000 isn't expensive for council tax unfortunately. In fact it's cheap IME.
    And you would have to pay that more or less whenever you moved to. You could move to a lower price band to pay slight less, but that usually means downsizing your property.

    It's usually divided up over 10 months, so you'd only be paying 100 a month. Feb and March are usually CT free months iirc, end of the financial year.

    It's just one of the facts of life. Councils need money to run. There's a lot of services they offer and everyone needs to chip in the help them run. Council tax is important. And it's one of the bills you can very quickly get into trouble with if you try to skip paying it.
    Elliott is 5 Flo is 3
    And baking baby number 3!



  15. #15
    Registered User MrsDravenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Sarah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDravenx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    The Advisors in the Job Centre should be able to do a 'better off' calculation for you.

    And no-one likes paying Council Tax, but most of us have to I'm afraid. And I wouldn't consider not paying it, there are severe penalties for not paying if you are not exempt.
    Oh, I wasn't going to NOY pay it, I'm just shocked at how expensive it is for such a horrible area where I live
    I wonder if you could pay it in installments as there's no way we'd probably be able afford a grand a year?..Either that or we'd have to move :/
    You generally pay it monthly. Ours is 108 per month.

    Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    God surviving is expensive!! Think we'd have to move to a cheaper area as there's no way I'm paying a grand a year! I'm tight with money!
    [CENTER]
    [B]x4 Angels .. March '11 | May '11 | January '14 | April '17
    Ian (31) & Gracie (28)| 13.O3.2O1O <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •