Thread: Self employed low income MA help needed!

Self employed low income MA help needed!

Hi I'm self employed and have always paid NI contributions even though I could have applied for small earnings exemption certificate my last payment was up to 14th of April. I haven't had a statement since then to pay but had read it was going yearly so just assumed would get one in April. Ive just read the NI is now calculated from tax return, I filed my return in January and am under the class 2 NI earnings amount so I have nothing to pay but I want to pay that year so I get my full MA entitlement, does anyone know if I can choose to pay it and still get full MA amount? Has anyone applied for MA when not earning enough to have to pay NI since July 2015 when it changed?

I got told if I hadn't paid enough NI when I applied for MA they'd offer me the chance to pay it so I'd receive the full amount. I'd ring them and explain they are really helpful.
    DD - 2013, DS 2016

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    I got told if I hadn't paid enough NI when I applied for MA they'd offer me the chance to pay it so I'd receive the full amount. I'd ring them and explain they are really helpful.
    That's reassuring thank you! I did call NI today and can chose to pay or opt out do I've set up to pay NI quarterly so should be able to apply for MA without problems now - I hope!

you can choose to pay it but if i have understood it correctly, you will need to prove your earnings because the allowance is 90% of that , or 139 a week, whichever is least . You need to have been earning 30 a week over any 13 week period during the 66 weeks preceding the pregnancy.

I've also been trying to backdate my SE voluntary NI contributions before I claim, but they have sent me a payment request for just one weeks worth ,?!! I've been trying to pay for the full past year.

As my earnings dont average out much more than 30 a week it doesnt get me much MA. And thats if they even accept the income which hasnt got the best paper trail.
    I knew you even before you were conceived. (Jeremiah 1:4-5) You were not a mistake,for all your days are written in my book.( Psalm 139:15-16)
    I determined the exact time of your birth and where you would live.(Acts 17:26) You are fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)
    For you were made in my image. (Genesis 1:27) I knit you together in your mother's womb (Psalms 139:13)
    And brought you forth on the day you were born. (Psalm 71:6) And I rejoice over you with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17)

Quote Originally Posted by gymbabeliz View Post
    you can choose to pay it but if i have understood it correctly, you will need to prove your earnings because the allowance is 90% of that , or 139 a week, whichever is least . You need to have been earning 30 a week over any 13 week period during the 66 weeks preceding the pregnancy.

I've also been trying to backdate my SE voluntary NI contributions before I claim, but they have sent me a payment request for just one weeks worth ,?!! I've been trying to pay for the full past year.

As my earnings dont average out much more than 30 a week it doesnt get me much MA. And thats if they even accept the income which hasnt got the best paper trail.
    I thought if you paid NI you now don't have to prove your earnings but I could be wrong, I do earn more then 30 a week anyway and could prove earning the full amount on at least 13 weeks in the test period but the form doesn't ask for any of that since it changed if only asks whether you have made 13 NI payments within test period. I called NI send have set up quarterly payments with the first one going out last week for first quarter of this financial year meaning I've now paid over 13 payments within My test period, sending form Monday so hopefully will find out soon enough.

oh, that sounds promising then. I'm waiting to see if i get sent anything at the year end April where i can pay the NI for the past year, if not I will just have to call them again. I have a while before i need to apply though. Is 13 weeks payments for the lower amount? I thought there was a 13 week lower amount and 26 week higher amount.
    I knew you even before you were conceived. (Jeremiah 1:4-5) You were not a mistake,for all your days are written in my book.( Psalm 139:15-16)
    I determined the exact time of your birth and where you would live.(Acts 17:26) You are fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)
    For you were made in my image. (Genesis 1:27) I knit you together in your mother's womb (Psalms 139:13)
    And brought you forth on the day you were born. (Psalm 71:6) And I rejoice over you with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17)

Quote Originally Posted by gymbabeliz View Post
    oh, that sounds promising then. I'm waiting to see if i get sent anything at the year end April where i can pay the NI for the past year, if not I will just have to call them again. I have a while before i need to apply though. Is 13 weeks payments for the lower amount? I thought there was a 13 week lower amount and 26 week higher amount.
    No I don't think so

How long did it take people to get a decision on MA? I sent off my forms about 3 weeks ago....havent heard anything yet