Thread: Advice on becoming a single mum...

Advice on becoming a single mum...

Last edited by Katiex; 21-12-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    Proud mummy to 2yo Maximilian & Millie May born 3 January '15.

MC February 2012, MMC September 2013, MC February 2014 - gone but never forgotten.

Will reply properly later, when not in room with ex lol.

Hugs. You'll be fine x

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed while feeding the wee man

No advice but xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I am a single mum, this is what I did whilst I had suspicions and before I ended the relationship, I asked him to leave the family home. I rent privately.

Set up own bank account and transferred CB payments there.

Got application forms for housing benefit and tax credits as theses can take a while to arrive and fill in.

You both have joint parental responsibility but often the child stays with thd mother. You may want to get your free 30 mins with a solicitor to get full info on this subject. My son lives with me but goes to his dad's twice a week. We sorted this ourselves.

Maintenance you should check the CSA website. We did ours ourselves and not through them but we used their calculator.

Big hugs to you.

Last edited by Katiex; 21-12-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    Proud mummy to 2yo Maximilian & Millie May born 3 January '15.

MC February 2012, MMC September 2013, MC February 2014 - gone but never forgotten.

LO turned 2 a month after we split. We split April just gone. I honestly don't think it's affected him as much as I thought it would. He knows when he sees daddy.

Things aren't great tbh, he likes to be awkward and still try and hold control but face to face when Charlie is around we are very civil.

Hope things aren't as bad as you think they will be when you make the decision

My little one was 9 months when we split in September and my husband moved out in October. It was LO's birthday yesterday and we spent it with my husband and his family (we're staying with him this week) and it's the first time we've seen him since he moved out.

LO has coped with it fine and after a shy start seems to remember who daddy is

Even with joint parental responsibility it would be unlikely that your OH would end up with custody of the little one unless you were considered a risk or consented to it. But no harm in taking advice on that just to get your head round all the options so that you can easily explain to him how you see it working.

In terms of practical stuff.... If he's not helping round the house you'll probably find that day to day life as a single mum is easier than it is now. I certainly did.

Good luck and keep us posted

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed while feeding the wee man