Thread: Where should your cervix be?

Where should your cervix be?

Advertise here
    Our website visitors could be seeing your advert here
    Maybe this is in the wrong part of the forum, but ill see what kinda responses i get putting it here.

Ok when i was pregnant with Evan, my cervix was rock solid, exactly as the MW described - like the tip of a carrot. And it was pretty high up. (During 3rd tri us ladies done alot of cervix checking lol)
    Now obviously during labour the cervix dilates and softens to allow the baby to pass through. I dilated so slowly it was torture. I just felt like my cervix would never soften or open up, i thought it was glued.
    Now this is my second pregnancy obviously and last night when i came out of the bath i had some discharge (sorry TMI) so i thought id check my cervix and its literally about 2inches into my vagine, it is so low and very very soft and i could put my finger in if i wanted to. (I didnt as i was scared) is this normal? Isnt this whats supposed to happen when im in labour and not now? If my cervix is weak does this mean i could miscarry! I have so much going through my mind. Would a doctor even know the answer to my question? Or would i speak to mw? Kinda worrying over this.

I wouldn't worry too much - yes your cervix is supposed to rise during pregnancy, but when this actually happens can vary from woman to woman, and can be different with each pregnancy. I never checked mine so don't know when mine made the journey north, but personally I wouldn't go checking - just leave it be .

However, if it worried you - as with anything in pregnancy - speak to your MW. But just because it feels low now doesn't mean you'll miscarry.

Hope that helps x

Special cheers for Macksie, Cankles, Ink Queen and Lauraaax for their long-awaited BFPs

Sounds like your describing a "multips os". As you have had a baby before your cervix never really returns to the se as it was before you had children! It can be a little be open or softer or lower than before :-)

I would of thought it probably should be higher :/ That said though, not sure if it has the same mobility during pregnancy (as in varying throughout the day) Maybe, if the bath was quite hot, then this is why it felt lower and softer at this point.......... I've never quite understood the reason behind not having too hot a bath, is it just to prevent fainting? If you are worried then speak to your MW, what was the discharge like?

Hope it's nothing to worry about x
    Mum of 2 gorgeous children and 2 equally beautiful angels x

Ive got my booking in appt on 3rd of Feb, so i'll ask the mw then. Just seems weird though.

The discharge was creamy colour and creamy textured, not too much of it though just a little bit

It'll feel different because you're on baby no2. As a pp mentioned, your cervix never returns to it's normal pre birth state. In fact once you've had a couple a vaginal births you'll find you are pretty much 1cm 'dialated' all of the time xxx
    Mum of 3
    Surprise BFP 30/12/12

I'm on my 5th and i've not checked my cervix recently but earllier in the pregnancy it went through phases of being really low and felt quite soft. I always have a dip in it like it's dilated a small amount too. I wouldn't worry too much. xx
    Mum to 3 boys & 2 girls

Thanks ladies im just a total worrier.

Have no idea, sorry hun.

Didn't want to read and run. Try not to worry too much I'm sure it will be fine.

xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Baby4 View Post
    It'll feel different because you're on baby no2. As a pp mentioned, your cervix never returns to it's normal pre birth state. In fact once you've had a couple a vaginal births you'll find you are pretty much 1cm 'dialated' all of the time xxx
    this, I was told even 2cm can be left over from previous babies. I have no idea wbout how high or low but I would say don't try to feel for it again as you don't want to risk making it irritated or infected