Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you ever needed to know about Trying for a baby & Fertility

Everything you ever needed to know about Trying for a baby & Fertility

Hello ladies (and gents)

Some of us long term and assisted members thought we would start a thread where we can all share our wealth of experience of trying for a baby and fertility issues, in the hope that it will help others (and ourselves) get pregnant Some of us have been at it for so long that we reckon we probably know more than the medical professionals! EVERYONE is welcome to contribute to this thread no matter how long you have been trying, if you are already a mum or you have a bun in the oven, or you have not yet succeeded in your journey (you are going to! )

You can talk about whatever you want in this thread. It could be scientific, personal experience, holistic, spiritual, emotional, myths and facts, whatever as long as it can help/teach others. You may have particular expertise in an area for example, you are really into charting, or you have taken certain fertility drugs or supplements etc. The point is to be able to share your experiences and knowledge in a way that explains the process simply to others (e.g. what Agnus Castus is used for and how it effected you/your cycle). I have no doubt that everyone could learn something from this thread if a lot of people contribute.

When I first joined this forum I knew nothing about even the most basic things such as ovulation, so dont be afraid to post what you may think is obvious, as if often isnt to everyone.

Oh and please do ask questions! if there is anything you want to know about, I am sure there will be someone who has been through a similar experience and will have an answer for you. We shall try to keep the acronyms to a minimum or at least explain what they stand for If this thread is popular/helpful then maybe it can be turned into a sticky.

Good luck everyone on your journeys and I hope this helps you succeed!
    AFTER 5 YEARS TTC, FINALLY GOT A MOTHERS DAY BFP THROUGH IUI!!! baby Jacob was born on 14th November 2012.
    Sarah & Bumpin is my amazing cheerleader!
    I am cheering Beth M, Sarah & Bumpin, Reddybeck & Thumbelina to their super sticky BFPs

My TTC, IUI and pregnancy diary: http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...ilofax-Section
    My blog - Jacobs Story, our baby with Downs Syndrome http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...95#post3584195

This is a lovely idea thankyou xxx
    My diary: after 2 years of ttc and 3m/c's (nov 2011, April 2012 & Sept 2012) we have our baby girl - http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...ned-for-us-xxx

glad you decided to start this hun,im sure it will help alot of people as well as yourself xx
    mc 11/10/09&26/12/11&5/9/12&13/10/12
    my diary
    wishing pattiamy,catwoman and superspud lots of luck on there ttc journey
    bfp/labour threads linked to tickers

Thanks ladies Ok, so ill go first! (i so hope other people join in or ill feel like a right tit )

Did you know......

That you only have a 20% chance of conceiving each month, and thats if both you and your partner are perfectly fertile and you time sex around ovulation. So dont get disheartened if it doesnt happen even within the first year, as it can take time. In fact most Doctors wont test for fertility until you have been trying for a year. However, if you are over 35 and havent got pregnant within 6 months, your GP should have you both checked out, just to be on the safe side
    AFTER 5 YEARS TTC, FINALLY GOT A MOTHERS DAY BFP THROUGH IUI!!! baby Jacob was born on 14th November 2012.
    I am cheering Beth M, Sarah & Bumpin, Reddybeck & Thumbelina to their super sticky BFPs

My TTC, IUI and pregnancy diary: http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...ilofax-Section
    My blog - Jacobs Story, our baby with Downs Syndrome http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...95#post3584195

Great idea ladies....

I'll start a question

I have 2 daughters, one who is 7 the other is 5 (18 months between)
    Came off depo in 2008, didn't ovulate since then,after test to make sure tubes etc are ok doc started me on clomid 50mg...
    Progesterone levels:
    First cycle 54.1
    Second cycle (I missed the blood test)
    Third cycle 70.4 :-D

The only thing that I have is a bicornate uterus... But I've carried both my daughters to full term so I know that I can do it... I just got to get pregnant first!! Lol

I've got everything crossed that this month is my month but... If it isn't has anyone ever used fertiliaid ?
    Reviews on it sound really good!

Thanks for listening xxx

* ~ *bAbY dUsT * ~ *

Track my chart on fertility friend..
    <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a74e1">My Ovulation Chart</a>
    CHEERING ALL MY LOVELY LTTTC FRIENDS
    They know who they are!

What a fab idea. Thank you for starting loola

I look forward to seeing what people have to share. It will be good to have it all in one place because I'm not very good at searching. Just like my husband if I can't find it straight away I get distracted x x

Blog Entries
    Ok I'll ask here cause I'm not sure if anyone will have seen it in the Folic Acid thread..

I have my folic acid tablet which has 200% FA and then I'm thinking of doing a multivit which has 100% so 300%fa all together. Is this dangerous? Also, the multivit has 100% vitamin A which I've read can be harmful to a baby, so should I not take it?!

Cheering all of the TTCers to their BFP's

Quote Originally Posted by ink queen View Post
    Great idea ladies....

I'll start a question

I have 2 daughters, one who is 7 the other is 5 (18 months between)
    Came off depo in 2008, didn't ovulate since then,after test to make sure tubes etc are ok doc started me on clomid 50mg...
    Progesterone levels:
    First cycle 54.1
    Second cycle (I missed the blood test)
    Third cycle 70.4 :-D

The only thing that I have is a bicornate uterus... But I've carried both my daughters to full term so I know that I can do it... I just got to get pregnant first!! Lol

I've got everything crossed that this month is my month but... If it isn't has anyone ever used fertiliaid ?
    Reviews on it sound really good!

Thanks for listening xxx

* ~ *bAbY dUsT * ~ *

Track my chart on fertility friend..
    <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a74e1">My Ovulation Chart</a>
    Fertilaid is very good for both men and women - obviously it will only help if there are issues that need to be addressed. One thing I have definitely learnt is not to mess around with supplements, if you dont really need them. I had a bad experience with Soy Isoflavones - ill talk about that another day

So Fertilaid for women includes:

Chasteberry or Vitex (vitex agnus-castus, chastetree berry) has been shown to stimulate the hormones involved in ovulation and restore female hormonal balance. Vitex is useful in normalizing pituitary gland functions and the balance of progesterone and estrogen levels. Vitex is often used as herbal treatment for infertility issues and is especially helpful for women with irregular menstrual cycles or a shortened luteal phase (a shortened second half of the menstrual cycle). The effectiveness of vitex increases over time with continued use.

Red Clover (trifolium pretense) helps restore and balance hormonal function. Red Clover contains isoflavones (estrogen-like compounds) which promote estrogen production and which may enhance fertility in women and boost estrogen levels in women with estrogen deficiencies. In addition, the Red Clover contains calcium and magnesium which can relax the nervous system and improve fertility.

Siberian Ginseng (eleutherococcus senticosus root) has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to reinforce the body's vital energy (what the Chinese call chi). Siberian ginseng may positively affect hormone levels, tone uterine muscles, support healthy uterine function, and enhance fertility.

Ginkgo Biloba has been used in traditional medicine to treat circulatory disorders and enhance memory and recent scientific studies lend credence to Gingko claims. In addition, laboratory studies have shown that Gingko improves blood circulation and increases peripheral blood flow to the reproductive organs, maintaining healthy blood vessel tone. Gingko also performs a cleansing antioxidant function.

PABA is a B Complex vitamin that is synthesized in the body. PABA is believed to increase the ability of estrogen to facilitate fertility and increases the ability of some infertile women to become pregnant. A clinical trial reported that 12 of 16 previously infertile women were able to become pregnant after supplementing with PABA over several months.

Antioxidant Support: Vitamins Cand E are important vitamins and cleansing antioxidants that play a vital role in repairing damage caused by the environment, aging, and in preventing cellular damage due to oxidizing free radicals. Vitamin E is an important antioxidant central to overall reproductive health and wellness. In a preliminary human trial, infertile couples given vitamin E showed a significant increase in fertility. Other studies indicate that preconceptional vitamin supplementation can increase fertility.

Folic Acid (vitamin B9 or Folate): Folic Acid taken prior to conception can prevent birth defects like spina bifida and neural tube defects as well as other fetal malformations like cardiac defects. FertilAid provides a "Just Right" dosage of Folic Acid for trying-to-conceive women.

And fertilaid for men includes:

Carnitine plays a vital role in the process of sperm development, in promoting proper maturation and morphology of sperm, and in ensuring the maintenance of sperm quality and vitality. FertilAid for Men contains an ideal dose of L-Carnitine - and in L-Carnitine's most potent form, as L-Carnitine tartrate.

Grapeseed Extract is a vital antioxidant that scours damaging free-radicals from your system. Free radicals cause oxidative damage to the body - a literal 'rusting' of tissues and cells. This damage can impact male reproductive function and disrupt fertility health. Studies indicate that supplements rich in antioxidants can dramatically improve male reproductive health.

Complex Antioxidant Formula: Vitamins C, E, A, and Selenium are important vitamins and cleansing antioxidants that play a key role in repairing damage caused by the environment and aging - and in preventing cellular damage due to oxidizing free radicals. Vitamin E is an important antioxidant central to overall reproductive health and wellness. In a preliminary human trial, infertile couples just given vitamin E showed a significant increase in fertility. Like Grapeseed Extract, selenium is a potent antioxidant that can help minimize oxidative damage produced by free radicals.

Vitamin C is important in sperm formation and needed to protect sperm from free radical damage. 250mg. According to research studies, vitamin C plays a key role in male fertility and the production and maintenance of health sperm

Maca Root and Asian Ginseng are herbal ingredients that have been scientifically demonstrated to improve sperm production and motility.

Zinc has been shown to to have a positive effect on sperm formation, sperm motility and testosterone metabolism.30mg

Betacarotene is a fat-soluble antioxidant that protects sperm from free radical attack. Its also a precursor to Vitamin A, a key player in ensuring proper sperm maturation. Compare with other fertility supplement brands - which contains no vitamin A.

So I am sure that taking fertilaid would help you, though you may not need to take all that stuff. Perhaps you could just start taking multi vits or and get your OH to take Zinc & Selenium more importantly than anything else! it would be a lot cheaper too! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by waitingonmyBFP View Post
    Ok I'll ask here cause I'm not sure if anyone will have seen it in the Folic Acid thread..

I have my folic acid tablet which has 200% FA and then I'm thinking of doing a multivit which has 100% so 300%fa all together. Is this dangerous? Also, the multivit has 100% vitamin A which I've read can be harmful to a baby, so should I not take it?!
    I know that too much folic acid wouldnt harm the baby, I think 400mg is actually the recommended dose, but dont 100% quote me on that, you arent taking too much though thats for sure. I dont know about the Vit A though sorry I hope someone else will no better than me about that?

Boots have 3 for 2 on pregnacare

Loads of folic acid is fine as you will just pee out any excess. As mentioned above too much vit a is harmful.

Fertility friend is an amazing website if you want to try charting. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/

I also can't recommend enough the Toni Weschler book taking charge of your fertility.

Also and this is on a personal note but i found that Internet cheapie pregnancy tests are evil. I had a fair few false positives which messed with my head.

As hard as it is wait until your period is late to test and use a better test. I found supermarket own brands were fine then if you get a line us a digi or an frer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
    Also and this is on a personal note but i found that Internet cheapie pregnancy tests are evil. I had a fair few false positives which messed with my head.

As hard as it is wait until your period is late to test and use a better test. I found supermarket own brands were fine then if you get a line us a digi or an frer.
    I second that! and you CAN get false positives on Internet Cheapies. Evil bastards! I had one myself last month, very cruel indeed, really not worth the heartache.

We were silly during TTC and were using lube, which can harm the sperm (it says it on the box that if you're TTC ask your doctor). We stopped using it and we fell pregnant! not straight away, took us a while but still x

What a fantastic idea for a thread... will be reading with interest and trying to learn xx

CD 21 progesterone tests!

Your GP may send you for one of these to see if you are ovulating. Its a blood test which is timed at the mid point of your 2 week wait or luteal phase when your progesterone hormones should peak so show that you ovulated. Typically in a 28 day cycle this is predicted as CD 21 of your cycle however.......no two women are the same and ovulation can vary say if you have a 32 day cycle you may ovulate on average around CD 20 so you would actually need the blood test to be done mid point between ovulation and your AF! Its best to discuss with your GP if you have a progesterone test so you can decide between you the best day to take the test :-)