Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you ever needed to know about Trying for a baby & Fertility

Hi ladies

Can anyone recommend anything that will tell me when I am ovulating? Tried online calendars and bought a test kit but it didnt work. my cycle is between 30-32 days

Thanks in advance x

My husband and i (28) tried for our first baby for 2 years and in the end paid for private laporoscopy ( die in tubes) then after the all clear and meeting a about ivf,, i caught.(typical)....then no problem with 2nd as was only 9 months after first baby....

then at 34 tried for my third baby with new partner for nearly 2 long years and i am now 36 , after 2 very early losses which devastated us so much, i caught, using cheapo ov testing kits and preseed gel and so much sex we both fed up of it, then tested using cheap preg tests, sorry to upset people who have had false pos results , that really really is terrible as i know what a faint hope is like-all to well.....
    but these things did work for me,and after spending money we didnt have all the time on shop tests it was great to find cheap alternatives .....
    2 months with cheap internet gear and i was pregnant, we are over moon..

I know the anguish of wanting a baby.. it totally takes over,
    i did give up smoking the month i caught too but not with my other 2 babies,
    I did take selenium too.

not sure why i am writing all this but i did struggle for 4 years for babies in total and you will get there in the end x
    Last edited by zena; 31-01-2012 at 03:11 PM.

buy cheap tests on internet , i got 30 and then tested everyday sometimes twice a day , from day 9 till day 22 sometimes its so much later than you think,
    keep going even when you get 2 strong lines to see if it happens again in the month , then you can be sure.
    Then test each month around those times twice a day to be sure again as it can change in evening. as soon as you see 2 lines ..no matter how faint.. get on it , then legs in the air for 20 mins after each time.
    i got my fella to take zinc too as it boosts them a bit,

If you are dry preseed helped us and worked almost right away, squoosh some up when the lines appear ( not too much its a bit slippy)
    sorry to be frank!

best of luck ..z

Wishfulthinking - I'd also just confirm ovulation by temping for one month as the ov sticks cannot tell you if you actually do ovulate or not. I've never done it that scientifically, just ensure my temp raises by 0.5 degrees ish 2/3 days after the positive ovulation prediction sticks. It then stays raised or gets higher until AF day (or day before) or that elusive BFP!

I have a shop! **Approved Link**

Find my shop here:http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...the-South-East

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    Hi ladies

Can anyone recommend anything that will tell me when I am ovulating? Tried online calendars and bought a test kit but it didnt work. my cycle is between 30-32 days

Thanks in advance x
    Yes indeed. I can only echo what Bexycat said - a good way to find out if you are ovulating is to chart your temperature with a basal body thermometer (BBT). You take your temp around the same time each morning, as soon as you wake up, before you get out of bed, have a drink, anything! jot down the temp somewhere and keep a record. Now around the middle of your cycle you may notice that your cervical fluid feels a little more watery/wet or you just notice it more, and you might feel rather horny too! (the best fertility sign in my opinion ). Now your temp should stay around the same level for the first half of your cycle, give or take a few little spikes here and there. When ovulation has happened though, your temp rises, and stays high until you get your next period, when it falls again, if it stays high after your usual cycle length then that could be a sign that you are duffaged! Try this for a few months to see if a pattern emerges. The first time is a bit llike a test as you wont know until its gone, but then every month after that you can time your sex, in the hope that your cycle is the same as the previous.

I personally didnt like charting as I am neurotic bitch! I obsessed over my temps so much that I actually delayed ovulation, and my otherwise regular cycles got all messed up! but dont let me put you off, as I know loads and loads of ladies have had a lot of success with it as they are not as crazy as me.

Now you can also check your cervix to tell if you are near ovulation, I have never actually done this, as I have no idea what I am feeling for - but basically when you are fertile, your cervix hangs lower, and is softer to the touch, its also open, awaiting spermies! You need to squat, and gently push a finger or 2 up inside your vagina. If its harder to reach and feels hard and closed then you are probably not fertile. If its easier to find and feels squishy then that is a good sign that you are ovulating.

Checking cervical fluid is the best way for me to know when I am getting closer to ovulation, as after my period is gone, I usually have a few 'dry' days when nothing shows up in my knickers. Then I start noticing a creamy or sticky cm, towards ovualtion it will get much thinner and become clear or streaked, you will probably notice more of it in your knickers, cm which is watery or like raw egg whites is very fertile.

I am also lucky that I get mittelshmerz (middle pain) when I am ovulating. For me it feels like a large bubble is about to pop on one side. This is the follicle getting ready to release oris releasing the egg. It can last for a few mins or a few hours. It seems to hurt me a lot more if I ovulate from the left ovary. No idea why that is! Not everyone will feel it or feel it like I do, some people get a pain right across their pelvic area. I weirdly enjoy it as I know when the perfect time to jump hubby is

There is also a saliva test that you can use to see if you are near ovulation - I have never used one, but basically you lick a slide, and then look at it under a microscope type thing. If the saliva looks like ferns, it means you are fertile. Amazing eh!

Have you tried the Ovulation Predictor Kits, which look like the internet cheapie tests from ebay? or did you use a more expensive type? I am not the biggest fan of ic pregnancy tests admittedly, but the OPKs I get from ebay have always worked well for me. You say they didnt work, did you never get a positive line or were you getting them constantly?

I would recommend using OPKs at least 3 times a day. The LH surge that happens prior to ovulation can be over in hours, so you may get a negative in the morning, then the surge happens in the afternoon, but you dont know about it, and by the night its not showing up again.
    Last edited by Loola; 31-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    AFTER 5 YEARS TTC, FINALLY GOT A MOTHERS DAY BFP THROUGH IUI!!! baby Jacob was born on 14th November 2012.
    Sarah & Bumpin is my amazing cheerleader!
    I am cheering Beth M, Sarah & Bumpin, Reddybeck & Thumbelina to their super sticky BFPs

My TTC, IUI and pregnancy diary: http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...ilofax-Section
    My blog - Jacobs Story, our baby with Downs Syndrome http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...95#post3584195

Quote Originally Posted by snoobs View Post
    Oh yeah I have a question - can the spermies always get into the cervix? I have read mixed answers to this question! And if they can't, how long do they live for around your cervix (I know they live for up to 5 days in the fallopian tubes but not sure how long elsewhere!) Is this a silly question?! lol.

x
    Hmm, I dont actually know the answer to this, but from experience I would say that no, they dont always, depending on where you are in a cycle. I have found that If I have sex near the end of my cycle when I know Im not fertile, that a lot more leaks when I stand up, than when Ive had sex at my fertile time. This is because when you are not fertile your cervix is high, hard and closed. So presumably not many sperms are actually getting up there.

When its fertile time though the cervix is low, soft and open like a mouth waiting to gobble all those lovely swimmers up! To me it feels like a lot less comes out when I stand up at fertile time (at least half an hour after the sex, to give those swimmers a chance to make it to the fallopian tubes, which can take between 5 and 30 mins ), and what does leak out then is just the semenal fluid and no good sperm that couldnt swim anywhere.

As for how long they can live around the cervix, that really depends again on where you are in your cycle, the cervical mucus is excreted from the cervix (obviously) but other than watery or egg white, the cm we produce is hostile to sperm, and the vagina is acidic, so chances are they wont live a very long time. In fertile fluid in the fallopian tubes they can last a lot longer, it all depends on what type of mucus you are producing.
    AFTER 5 YEARS TTC, FINALLY GOT A MOTHERS DAY BFP THROUGH IUI!!! baby Jacob was born on 14th November 2012.
    I am cheering Beth M, Sarah & Bumpin, Reddybeck & Thumbelina to their super sticky BFPs

My TTC, IUI and pregnancy diary: http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...ilofax-Section
    My blog - Jacobs Story, our baby with Downs Syndrome http://www.pregnancyforum.org.uk/sho...95#post3584195

Blog Entries
    I get little pains around OV as well. I tend to get them for a few days though, not just a short period of time. Sometimes they're sharp and others they're really gentle.

Cheering all of the TTCers to their BFP's

I must say I am new to this site, but all that sounds a bit tech to me , the mucus is hard to tell for most of us and taking temp at same time and writing it down everyday is just impossible..
    I'm not try to be rude but i also went through this for years and i have got 3 kids now...
    seriously get the tests and just test away all you like as they are 60 pence each or so . keep going till you get lines . get some gel in there and relax afterwards.
    i would not keep sticking your fingers in as its bad for your ph..
    don't bath around ov time either or after, women in the worst conditions seem to have babies just fine so staying a bit dirty and un touched for a couple of days (esp after sex), is gross, but worth it.
    my cervix is very far back and so when i had smear she advised being on a pillow ,also if you don't climax let him go off and watch tv and have w**k as it will get your cervix to drink up the sperm, but thats only if you like , legs in the air will do same job..(nearly)
    I am truly sorry not to be of the school of thought about temps and mucus, but I do love a good vitamin !!
    anything you take vitamin wise can't be bad. i also had acupuncture and saw a lady called sylvie lenoir , who is amazing and just makes you feel better whether it helps with babies or not .
    its a very difficult business all this, any any advise if its right for you is good, and when that doesn't work try other advise...

I gave up drinking smoking and drinking coffee and tea in the end I got so desperate , and I love a drink and a smoke and my earl grey , but would you believe it i actually caught that month.
    Last edited by zena; 31-01-2012 at 06:59 PM.

My phone won't let me see replies :-( so sorry if I'm asking the same question.

Me and my OH are both 20 will be 21 soon. I have 2DS's from previous relationship. I conceived both my babies fine and had really healthy pregnancies. Me and the OH have been TTC for 14 months and I just not falling. We went to the doctors and both had loads of tests done and both in fine working order.

For the first 13 months we just DTD every other day from when I came of af till I came on af.

This months we are going to chart and temp. We have also brought well man and well woman conception Does this help? And has anyone had success using these?

Is there anything else I can do to boast our chances? Xxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Semen Analysis

When your OH is tested for fertility these are the different things they are testing for, what they mean and what is considered 'normal'.

Volume: 2mls - 6mls is considered 'normal'. Less than 2ml would mean there were less sperms getting to the right places, too much could mean there is too much fluid and would dilute the number of sperms.

Liquefication - initially the semen should be thick, then liquefy within 10 to 30mins. If it doesnt, this could impair the movement of the sperm.

Sperm concentration/density - the number of sperms per ml. 20million and over is considered 'normal'.

Motility - the percentage of moving sperm in a sample and an evaluation of their rate and direction of travel. At least 50% should be motile one hour after ejaculation, and they should be moving forward in a straight line with good speed. The progression of the sperm is rated on a basis from zero (no motion) to 4, with 3-4 representing good motility. If less than half of the sperm are motile, a stain is used to identify the percentage of dead sperm. This is called a sperm viability test.

Morphology - the size, shape, and appearance of the sperm cells. The analysis evaluates the structure of 200 sperm, and any defects are noted. The more abnormal sperm that are present, the lower the likelihood of fertility. Abnormal forms may include too large heads, too small heads, 2 heads, too short tail, too long tail, 2 tails etc

Semen pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8, fructose at 150-600 mg/dL, and there should be less than 2000 white blood cells per mL.

Sperm analysis results can vary greatly from test to test. If your partner has bad results first time, he will probably be asked to do another in 3 months time. Although sperms are produced in their millions daily, it actually takes approximately 76 days for regeneration. So say your partner had food poisoining 3 months ago, and he got a fever - this could have affected his sperm count and quality today. Hence why the tests are taken 3 months apart. This can be a good thing as improving poor results can be improved with diet and changes in lifestyle or by taking vitamin supplements.

Supplements which are good for improving sperm count, motility and morphology are:

Zinc
    Selenium
    Folic Acid

Its not a bad idea to get your partners to take the above, whether you think there may be a problem or not, as they cannot do any harm

I have also just heard about a powerful antioxidant called Pycnogenol (French Maritime Pine Bark Extract) which is supposed to be having amazing effects on male morphology levels. I have just started my hubby on it as he has low morphology, fingers crossed it will work!

It goes without saying that smoking, drinking too much alcohol and taking drugs will have a negative on male and female fertility. Eat a healthy and balanced diet and do regular exercise.

Men should try to keep their crown jewels cool, as overheating damages sperm. Wearing boxers instead of briefs, not using jacuzzis or saunas, avoid cycling if possible. Also laptops (used on the lap) generate heat and could be a cause of lower fertility levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern22 View Post
    My phone won't let me see replies :-( so sorry if I'm asking the same question.

Me and my OH are both 20 will be 21 soon. I have 2DS's from previous relationship. I conceived both my babies fine and had really healthy pregnancies. Me and the OH have been TTC for 14 months and I just not falling. We went to the doctors and both had loads of tests done and both in fine working order.

For the first 13 months we just DTD every other day from when I came of af till I came on af.

This months we are going to chart and temp. We have also brought well man and well woman conception Does this help? And has anyone had success using these?

Is there anything else I can do to boast our chances? Xxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    hi Fern - I am sure the Wellman vitamins could help - its so frustrating when there is no reason for it not happening. My hubby and I have been trying for 5 years nearly, and there is no real reason why we havent conceived yet. We dont have any children. We have tried EVERYTHING! hence me answering all these questions.

you seem to be doing everything right and you have a lot more experience of pregnancy than me thats for sure. Perhaps you have just been unlucky so far, but its bound to be your turn soon. DTD every other day is great! you are bound to catch ovulation that way. Are your cycles regular? If his sperm levels are all normal then there is no harm in DTD every day around your fertile time I dont know what else to suggest really

I'm going to get me some lube ( the ones mentioned here )

I'm really paranoid that I'm too dry ...TMI but I enjoy other forms of sex so much more

This thread is superb, should be a sticky! ... pun intended

Thank you Thumbelina I will ask the mods, but there are quite a lot of stickys already, so they may not let us. I shall find out

thanks bexycat, i dont think i ever would have realised it was an issue until i was told about it, the nurse said to put my hands under my bum, thats not overly easy to do at certain times!
    mc 11/10/09&26/12/11&5/9/12&13/10/12
    my diary
    wishing pattiamy,catwoman and superspud lots of luck on there ttc journey
    bfp/labour threads linked to tickers

thanks for making this a sticky Minxy!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast