Christmas Plates

Thread: Contraceptive implant vs injection

Contraceptive implant vs injection

Advertise here
    Our website visitors could be seeing your advert here
    Have any of you tried both successfully? How did they compare?

I know the implant gets some bad reviews but I had it in after DS and it worked fine. The only thing putting me off is i have a little scar where it was taken out and don't really want to keep getting dotted with scars as the years pass so might try the injection instead.

I was on depo for 15 yrs and loved it. Tried the implant briefly and although it is the same hormone I bled and bled and cried and cried for 6 months and begged them to take it out! Went straight back on the injection and tbh it wasnt the same (i had no cycles for years but second time I had some bleeding, not very regularly) that said I will go back on depo x

Isaac' big brother, our little angel, born sleeping at 16 weeks on 16.09.2011.
    Sadly suffered with Pataus syndrome (trisomy 13)

Blog Entries
    I've had both. The Depo was awesome for me, no periods or anything like that. The only reason I stopped it was because I missed an appointment due to surgery and they wouldn't do my next injection until a period and I was waiting for about 6 months for a bleed.

The implant on the other hand was a nightmare. I didn't bleed for the first year and then I bled for 2 weeks every 2 weeks. It was a nightmare. And to top it off, it made me extremely depressed so I had it removed.

Fertility Friend Facebook
    Cheering all of the TTCers to their BFP's

The implant is horrendous, have you looked at the mirena coil ?
    Mama to two beautiful fluffy babies

I haven't had the implant but was fine on Depo and only stopped having it because of the long term risks. I just didn't feel confident that it wasn't going to affect my health in the long run.

I was going to say about the Mirena coil too? I've got the copper coil and so far it's been very good, I hardly know it's there! No extra cramps or heavy bleeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the posts. I was just discussing elsewhere and someone was saying you have to have a break after 2 years on depo, that makes me think it's more risky to my health than other options. Also I remember now when looking into it before that it can affect your bones? My mum has mild osteoporosis and although I don't have any signs of it I guess I could be prone to it so maybe not a good idea. I'm also put off by the possibility of it affecting my fertility for up to a year after you come off it.

See I knew everyone would slate the implant as I've heard so many bad views if it but it actually was great when I had it before and I conceived Isla after my first period after having it out. It's just the scar thing with that.

I haven't really thought about the coil I've always just overlooked it as an option as didn't like the thought of it being up 'there' Maybe I should get over that, is it really good, can you feel it at all? I'm generally ok with hormones they don't seem to affect me too much so maybe the mirena would be an option. I'm breastfeeding but I think you can still have that one?
    Last edited by KirstyD; 26-01-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: iPhone spelling!

I was on Depo for nearly 15 years with no break. Every couple of years they said 'new evidence suggests.....' generally the osteoperosis link then the next year it was ' now research suggests as long as you have a healthy diet and no other risk factors it doesnt matter' thats how I got away with it for so long!
    I was hoping to go back on it but if they are now saying 2 years again I might try somthing else when I have (hopefully) had this baby. Main thing I would say is fertility, but i was on it bloomin ages!
    Coil sounds great but I havent really looked into it properly.

The otyher thing with depo is it does affect people differently. My sister was a raving loon on it and even got quite violent with her OH!

Isaac' big brother, our little angel, born sleeping at 16 weeks on 16.09.2011.
    Sadly suffered with Pataus syndrome (trisomy 13)

depo was awful for me, I piled on weight and even though i got that off after it took ages for my periods to get back to normal. i only had depo for a few mths and in that time I went 6 wks without bleeding at one point and also had 4 wks of on off bleeding. never again for me. I did want the implant but my gp wouldn't do it as I was mixed feeding and she said it could mean I end up being a bleeder on it.

Yeah, that's what put me off! I went to my GP about it first who said I'd have to have a break after 2 years then my OH was looking it up in books (he's a doctor) and said about the risks to your bones and things. Think it increases the risk of osteoporosis. I read something about taking calcium supplements but I just didn't feel confident about it. But I know there's probably a risk with most things!

I've heard bad things about the implant but did consider getting it but didn't just because I'm only on a break from TTC and don't want to put hormones in my body that might affect my chances. Think I'd give it a go otherwise though! I watched videos of insertion on Youtube and it freaked me out, getting the coil didn't bother me though Implant insertion made me cringe just watching videos though!

I think you can get Mirena when you're breastfeeding because the hormones are only in your uterus. I love the coil! I'll definitely be getting another one after baby making. I don't feel it at all. It does feel slightly poky during AF (only way I can describe it ) but can't feel anything otherwise. Like I said, I wouldn't know it was there other than having to check for the strings. AF seems normal though and I like the lack of hormones! Insertion wasn't the best experience, have to be honest. I almost fainted, had to lay down for a bit but the pain doesn't last long. Otherwise I can't complain!

Blog Entries
    yup, I love my coil. I have the copper and although my periods are definitely heavier and more painful, I can't feel it in there at all. It's a relief not having to think about it. And I have zero hormones in my body so I'm getting ready for TTC

Fertility Friend Facebook
    Cheering all of the TTCers to their BFP's