Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does induction take to work?

How long does induction take to work?

Hi ladies

I know this question is very open-ended, as I guess a lot depends on each individual at the time.

But I just wondered, in your experience, how long induction takes to work?

I am going into hospital today because of my pre-eclampsia, and they said they are 99% sure they are going to induce me today. Consultant yesterday said my cervix is 'very favourable, short and spongy' and I'm 1cm dilated. She said that this would make the induction more successful.

Does it tend to take hours, or am I looking at days for labour to kick in?

Thank you xxx

My Pregnancy with PCOS & ME Diary - viewtopic.php?f=39&p=2245296#p2245296 -

My 365 Project - A photo of Poppy taken every day! http://365project.org/honeywall/365

CHEERING CHOCCYECLAIRE TO A FABULOUS AND WONDERFUL BUMP!!!

Re: How long does induction take to work?

I went to be induced 3days after my due date as my waters had gone. I was examined at about 11am and told my cervix was not favourable at all and very posterior. They put a pessary in then, told me it was just to try and get cervix ready for when they start the drip at 16.30. At 12.00 my contractions started at 2mins apart, at 16.30 when they came to take me for the drip i had just started pushing on my own, she was born at 16.40

My SIL was induced on Thursday and delivered on Sunday...but I don't think her cervix was as "ready" as yours...so hopefully it won't be that long!

When I had Chloe I went in at 8am, was given the pessary at 2cm dilated at 9am, had my waters broken at 1pm and gave birth at 3.41!

Hope your little lady is as quick
    1st Ectopic Pregnancy ~ 07/11/2013
    2nd Ectopic Pregnancy ~ 20/03/2017

Nessie - wow that's fast!

The consultant yesterday told me that for a first-timer I'm 'doing very well', considering that my cervix is ready to go...wasn't quite sure what she meant by that, but I think it's a good thing lol!

I hope all of this means that if they do decide to induce me it won't be too long before it works!

My 365 Project - A photo of Poppy taken every day! http://365project.org/honeywall/365

Do you know how they're going to induce you?

I went in for my induction and around 1pm had a pessary put in beside my cervix but because of problems with Sophie's heartbeat they took me over to the labour ward and at around 5.30pm I was hooked up on the synotocin (I think that's right!) drip. I had been having mild, irregular contractions with the pessary but they hadn't done much. I was 1cm dilated when I went in and was about 1-2cm dilated when the pessary was taken out.

The contractions with the drip kicked in pretty quickly and my established labour was recorded at 13.5 hours. Sophie was born at 6.52am the next day.
    Sophie born 03/03/10
    Jack born 04/08/11
    Noah born 18/03/14
    Oliver born 26/08/15

I was started at 8.30am on the Wednesday, Maia was born at 5.44pm on the Friday by emergency section so quite long I had 3 pessaries and then the drip on the Friday morning. Take loads of things to read/do, it can be VERY boring especially when youre being monitored

i was only 37 week when i was induced
    it was a very lengthy 4 day process to get me in to labour
    but once my waters broke and contractions started it all happened VERY quick
    the fact your cervix is very favourable should mean speedy labour and birth...good luck x

m/c April 2007 @5 weeks
    m/c May 2014 @9 weeks

i had a pessary at 8/9pm ish, cant remember exactly sorry (it was 14 years ago ) and had lots of pains overnight (and was told i was being a wuss as it wouldnt hurt already ) my waters broke at half 8 in the morning and he was here at quater past one (lunchtime)

i think it will be different for each lady as everyone is at a slightly different stage when they are induced

good luck for today, i hope it all goes to plan and you are soon cuddling your lo

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences xx

Ladyjp - I have no idea yet hun! I'm going in to the day unit this morning for more tests, monitoring, and a scan to check that the pre-eclampsia isn't effecting LO too much.

But the consultant said that on the basis the readings are still the same (or worse) then they will just go straight for induction - they 'won't let me go any further'. I'm assuming that that means they'll do it either today or tomorrow... She said that as I'm 39+1 today there is no point taking any unnecessary risks.

So that's all I know at the minute! I imagine they would go for a pessary first?

Another question - what happens with your birthing partner through all of this? Are you admitted to a ward for the induction, then your birthing partner called when things get going? By the sound of it from what I've read though, if you're taken to the labour ward and induced your partner would be able to be with you?

With Lydia I went in on 21st September to be induced (around 2pm was the first pessary given). It took many more pessaries before anything actually constructive happened. She was born 8.35am 25th September.

With Alex I was given pessary on 13th August (morning), he was born 10.58pm 14th August.

Jason was a little different as waters broke first on their own, but then nothing was progressing so then they induced me to get things going. So I'll not go into that one as it wasn't a "full" induction.

I'd check your hospital's policy tbh, some people their partners are sent away outwith visiting hours and others, like mine, are allowed to stay throughout. Induction is a very individual thing, I went in armed with lots of stories (mostly horror stories) and my experience was nothing like any of them. How they do it will depend on how well things go and how quickly they want baby to appear - I was only allowed one go at the prostin gel then onto the drip. Had the prostin about 2pm, cervix closed, high and posterior, it didn't do very much, had the drip at 2am and she was born at 1pm.

Thank you guys!

I'm hoping hubby will be allowed to stay with me - fingers crossed! I am treading a very fine line at the minute between managing to keep my cool and stay calm after all of these complications the last 3 weeks, and completely losing the plot!

On another note - is the drip ok? I assume it's a needle in the back of your hand? I'm not great with needles, but I'm ok with bloods being done (good job really given the amount I've given the last couple of weeks lol!) so is the drip much worse than the needle going in for bloods?

Yeah it's no worse than the bloods being taken though the canula I had meant I couldn't really bend my hand at all and after she was born I got a bit demanding wanting it out

The canula can be put in your wrist or at elbow too, mine ajways were
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk