Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Child and Working Tax Credits

Child and Working Tax Credits

Hi Ladies

I have summarized the below as a shortened version on who qualifies for working tax credits and child tax credits.

I hope this helps

Jo x

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit is paid into the bank account of the claimant (parent) who is the main carer to the child.

Families who are on incomes of up to £58,000 a year, or £66,000 a year if there is at least one child who is less than a year old ( these are combined wages), can benefit from Child Tax Credit whether or not they are working.

This credit is there for the sole purpose to support your child and help towards the costs of raising your child.

Working Tax Credit - The child care part

This credit is here to help towards the costs of childcare, this can be paid straight to the parent or the childminder on a weekly/fortnightly or monthly basis as per your request. HMRC can pay up to 80% of your child care costs, this is dependent on your situation i.e. income or whether or not you are a lone parent, a coupe etc

To qualify for working tax credits you must come under one of the following;

* Work 16hrs or more a week - if you are a lone parent
    * Both members of a couple must work 16 hours a week or more
    * Or one member of a couple must work 16 hours a week or more and the other member must be incapacitated

Also, parents must use one of the below types of Childcare to qualify for Working Tax Credits;

* Out of School hours, where care is provided by a school on site
    * Foster carer who has been approved (please contact HMRC regarding this as there are set rules)
    Care registered by Ofsted (e.g. childminders, nannies, nurseries, activity clubs, playschemes or out-of-school clubs)
    * Childminders/carers who have been approved by the Childcare Approval Schemes
    * A domiciliary worker or nurse from a registered agency providing care in the child's home

Please note; childcare for children 8 years or older who are approved by a quality Assurance Scheme are no longer considered as a qualifying care for Working Tax Credits and must be registered by Ofsted to qualify.

Relatives who care for your child

If a family member is caring for a child who is related to them,this is not deemed to be a qualifying Care provided for the purpose of tax credits if it is provided in the child's own home.

Registered childminders should inform Ofsted of any change in their childminding status, for example if they no longer look after non-related children.

If the childcare provider is approved under the Childcare Approval Scheme and provides care to a related child outside of the child’s own home, for example in other domestic premises, it is not qualifying childcare unless the childcare provider is also looking after non-related children.

Contacts and resources

Leaflets are available in your local CAB office, council or your nearest HMRC Enquiry Centre and Job Centre Plus.

Helplines

The Tax Credit helpline provides information for local authorities and Children’s Information Services, and helps parents to complete their claim form or check the progress of their claim.

8.00am – 8.00pm every day (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Easter Sunday) in England, Scotland and Wales 0845 300 3900

For hearing or speech difficulties in England, Scotland and Wales 0845 300 3909

Websites

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/index.htm
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/credit.htm
    Mummy to an Autistic boy

Re: Child and Working Tax Credits

Quote Originally Posted by keelie_b
    thanks Lou il put it on my very long to do list!

do u know if i can do it over the internet? xx
    Unfortunately, you can't claim via the internet, you have to call them, so they can open a new claim (the form they will send you will have your own personal ref number on it). They will have the form out to you in a matter of days.
    Mummy to an Autistic boy

at what point do you apply for these?

working tax credits i couldnt apply for until i go back to work after maternity and know what shift, hours i'll be doing, right?
    Frankie Jake 20/7/09 💙
    Ava Karen 02/10/12 💜

Working tax creds you apply for the first day back at work (they can't pre-save info) and child tax cred, apply for straight away, i think you have up until your child is 3 months but I moved back into the country after my LO was born so you may need to double check this.
    Mummy to an Autistic boy

hey... on the forms does it matter whos details go into where?

As in does it matter if I fill in the "You" section and fill in Lees details in the "Your Partner" section or vice verser???
    ]

*MY BIRTH STORY* *MY SWAPS THREAD*

"You're sweet like chocolate, boy, You're sweet like chocolate
    You bring me so much joy, You're sweet like chocolate, boy

Knowing you're there every day, Makes me high in my own special way, I am calm in the face of your love
    Holding you is the gift from above"

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBrightside
    hey... on the forms does it matter whos details go into where?

As in does it matter if I fill in the "You" section and fill in Lees details in the "Your Partner" section or vice verser???
    I don't think it makes any difference hun as long as the bank account you want the money to be paid into is in the first named person ("You")'s name (or a joint account, of course).

Xxx
    DD1 is nearly 11 years old DS is nearly 9 years old DD2 is 16 months old

brill thanks hun... sitting here with a pile of forms to fill in to post on Monday oh the joys!!
    ]

*MY BIRTH STORY* *MY SWAPS THREAD*

"You're sweet like chocolate, boy, You're sweet like chocolate
    You bring me so much joy, You're sweet like chocolate, boy

Knowing you're there every day, Makes me high in my own special way, I am calm in the face of your love
    Holding you is the gift from above"

Blog Entries

I'm just filling my forms in now and looking at the childcare bit. I don't pay any childcare yet since I'm on maternity but does anyone know if I should fill in what I will be paying when I go back to work or if I should leave it blank?

Ta

So cinch up your laces, put more tape on your hands if you need it and
    strap your helmet on tight. Go out there and hurt the first son of a bitch
    you see. Lets go kick some ass.
    I like big beards and I cannot lie

Quote Originally Posted by xmcnickyx
    I'm just filling my forms in now and looking at the childcare bit. I don't pay any childcare yet since I'm on maternity but does anyone know if I should fill in what I will be paying when I go back to work or if I should leave it blank?

Ta
    Leave it blank as you cant claim for it until you actually start paying for it, then when you start paying for childcare give them a ring and they will take it into account from then on

HTH

you can claim working tax credits when your on maternity aswell for 39weeks, because your still classed as working!! x
    Oliver born 1st November 2008 7lb 8.5oz 2days early
    Jessica born 4th October 2010 6lb 3weeks 5days early

Hi,

Does anyone know how much the tax credit is for. Sorry I'm terrible with this sort of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie1977
    Hi,

Does anyone know how much the tax credit is for. Sorry I'm terrible with this sort of thing
    It is all dependant on income/savings etc hun. They work out what you will be entitled too when you send in your forms.

stuck under the feeding or sleeping baby.

Just sending the forms off today. They base it on your last financial year and current financial year situations. Only way to know is to take the time to fill in the document.
    Alhumdulilah My beautiful boy Eesa was born 07/08/09

do any one no if they back date child tax payments as im applying now just waiting on the forms n my baby is 9 weeks old

Yes your tax credits are backdated for a maximum of 93 days so you will be fine. If they don't do this for you when your award notice comes through drop them a letter asking for it and they will send you a check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast