Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Potty training thread

Blog Entries

Re: Potty training thread

that's brill hazel...shes doing so well
    Mummy to 2 beautiful girls age 5 and 7

in September I had a perfectly 100% day potty trained little girl. It only took her a few days to get it and pees and poos all went in the potty Nursery was always a little more difficult with 1 or 2 changes. Then a few weeks ago, she totally forgot her potty training on the monday at nursery and hasn't done very well since then at all. She started having up to 6 changes a day. We brought the star chart back out and she's starting to be better but she rarely initiates going on the potty and she seems to have developed a poo problem. She hasn't poo'd on the potty for over a week now! She does it in her pants then says wee, realises it's a poo and says no no no. Then she tries to get away when I try to look to see whether she's done anything like she doesn't want me to find it in her pants. We've never made her feel bad for pooing in her pants or on the potty. We've always had a jolly approach to poo generally so I'm not sure why she seems to be ashamed of it. I'm really sad that something has caused this for her but really can't imagine what it is. I tend to say 'oooh you've done a poo, how about doing that in the potty next time to save dirtying your pants' with a relaxed happy tone. It's obviously not that she's too young as she was perfect for 4-5 weeks with it before this started. Help!!!

ETA, this coincides with her looking at her privates and saying poo comes from there quite a lot...I don't know if it's a new awareness thing?

Lost my Pip on 12/08/10, Little Squeak on 18/03/11 and Pickles 07/07/11
    Bubalu's Chart
    Cheering Pruep2, SandyMay and Lauraax and Special Cheers for LucyMum's Snowflake
    Thank you to my cheerers

'Tidy house = tidy mind= tidy womb' Coco

Quote Originally Posted by heles7
    james seems to have got off to a good start, we've done our first visits out of the house in big boy pants this week and no accidents whilst out; I've just been putting the normal potty under the pushchair.

Generally, whats the best way to think about nigth time training? THe nappy this morning was totally dry and i was a bit shocked, cos they are normally saturated.
    I had a couple of dry night time nappies and decided to just bite the bullet. But I had the added incentive of knowing that I am taking the mattress to the tip in a couple of weeks. The first two nights she wet the bed. I still put towels under the sheet just in case but she's not wet the bed since the end of last week. She did however wee on the floor this morning. She woke up, got out of bed and was hitting me on the head saying she needed a wee but I didn't wake up quickly enough because I felt so ill. I've brought the potty upstairs into the bedroom for tonight though in case it happens again. She generally uses the potty downstairs and has a seat in the toilet upstairs (she doesn't like the downstairs toilet for some reason ).

I do have a few issues with her not liking to have her bottom wiped though. On the toilet, if she does a wee, she will more often than not accept some toilet paper and wipe herself. But if she does a poo on the toilet or potty, i have to literally pin her down screaming whilst I wipe her bottom. On the potty, she often runs off after a wee and has dripped dry by the time I catch her and give her some toilet paper. Any suggestions on encouraging bottom wiping?

not sure about the wiping problem, ive got the oppostie thing going on where james wants to wipe even when he didnt wee

Check out my stuff for sale in Helen's shop

AKA heles7

Lo did her first wee wee in potty today :-D
    She is only 16 months so not seriously potty training, she knows what it is for and sometimes sits on it... So proud!

Blog Entries

Feeling pleased cos we've had a good few days.

At my mums on Wed while i was at work she had no accidents and just 2 small ones on her 2 nursery days.
    Doing sooo well at home-I hope it stays this way
    Just need to work on her going more than an hour between wees now

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah&Vee
    an hour between wees?!

I'll swap!

I went shopping for two hours today and Jessica went to the toilet 4 times - which I thought was very good as she easily does 5-6 wees an hour at home. But she does drink a lot - probably a good 2-3 litres a day.

Was very proud today as she did all her wees balanced on a big adult toilet (me holding her) and carried on even when a very noisy floor cleaner went past and scared her while she was mid wee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julie84
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah&Vee
    an hour between wees?!

I'll swap!

I went shopping for two hours today and Jessica went to the toilet 4 times - which I thought was very good as she easily does 5-6 wees an hour at home. But she does drink a lot - probably a good 2-3 litres a day.

Was very proud today as she did all her wees balanced on a big adult toilet (me holding her) and carried on even when a very noisy floor cleaner went past and scared her while she was mid wee.
    Oh no...I think once an hour in difficult..you can't do anything in an hour so we always need a toilet break.
    I have to think really carefully about drinks though if I gave her 2 large drinks close together she wees a lot-probbaly the same as your daughter-I've definately witnesses 3 in half an hour so I make sure the drinks are spaced out

Maia has been dry for a week now but I have a few boggles I need to sort out with her.

The stool we have for her to get onto the toilet is too small so she needs me to lift her onto the toilet. In doing this I seem to have got into the habit of pulling her pants and trousers down too; and now she refuses to do it herself! I've bought a bigger stool so now ahe only needs me to wipe her but she has refused to go on her own and wants me to do he pants and trousers. This has resulted in two poos in her pants all because she is so stubborn!

I've tried bribery with treats but even the promise of a lolipop hasn't worked when usually that's a winner

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Also how do I now move to getting her dry at night, and do I leaver her a bit longer before I tackle this or do it relatively quickly?

on my mobile, pretending not to be on this forum
    Blog Entries

Eeeee! Just started serious potty training today! Jack's used a potty before, he's ok sitting on it and so on, but catching a wee was coincidence then.

Today we ditched the nappies (apart from nap time & bed time) and put him in the bambino mio padded pants so he can feel wet without too much of a puddle on the floor!

We've not got too far yet (but it is day 1) he's sat on his potty when I ask him too, but not wee'd in it. And gone through 4 pants. He tells me he's wet, but I haven't convinced him to sit on his potty before he gets wet :-D

I think we might be joining you? L had the tiniest little poo in her potty the other night, like really really small little thing but we still praised her. After her bath tonight, she said poo and I wasn't sure, so asked her if she wanted to go on the potty, she said yes. She did a tiny wee, and then got annoyed at the cat watching ( ), ran into her room so I followed her in there with the potty, and next thing, the most awesomely big poo in the potty! We were so proud, it was embarrassing!

So, I don't want to rush/stress her, but do I offer for wees all the time now, or just wait for her to tell me? We have one big comfy potty which we can take up and downstairs with us, and one tiny thin one that can go out and about when she wants.

I am getting ahead of myself now, but when do you buy pants?

Nicky if you have the time to do it, do it! Cold turkey is the way to go

I am pleased to report Becky is using the toilet at the childminder like a total pro now and we have had no pull ups at the CM for a week I'm so chuffed considering she's been dry at home since late July, we just had to wait on her making the choice to use the toilet when not with us!

Well, I do. I don't work, and we can stay in as much as we can bear.

Should I go and let her choose some pants now? I don't want to get carried away too early and let her get disappointed in herself or anything.

Also, how do you keep a potty clean? I've been flushing, then wiping it down with a antibac wipe thing, IYKWIM. But if you're using it as often as 4 times an hour, you'd go through a pack a day!

Becky mostly uses the toilet now but the potty I just rinse when she pees then anti-bac spray for poos.

I found Jessica pretty much did it herself; I left her with her bottom half naked whenever we were home and she just took herself off to the potty (always in the same room we were in so she could help herself) when she needed it. If we were doing crafts or something I found I needed to keep reminding her the potty was there if she needed it as she had a tendency to get so absorbed that she would say wee as it was happening and not get to the potty in time.

I never put Jessica on the potty, just reminded her it was there if she needed it and praised her incessantly when she did a wee or a poo (and just stocked up on plenty of kitchen roll for 'not quite on the potty' ). Potty training was very much led by her and she loved the over the top praising, dancing, singing, high fives ( ) when she did the desired in the right place.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast